By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Parkes Cup Day on Sunday.
The form has been done for a Good track.
|Race 1 - 12:15PM CHOICES FLOORING CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
4. Twilight Sun looked perfectly placed to fire last time out at Canberra when third up at the mile but he was badly tightened half way down the straight. The way he picked up again late suggests he’d have just about won with any luck. Well placed here to atone for that.
Dangers: 2. One Pound has won two from four since joining Kody Nestor’s stable. The three-year-old filly bolted in at Dubbo last start and Jay Ford stays on. They look the two standout chances as the market suggests and should fight this out.
How to play it: Twilight Sun WIN ($3 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 2 - 12:50PM PARKES TELESCOPE TYRES & BATTERIES MAIDEN HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
7. Fancythatmo only has to produce what he did first up behind the smart Nuremburg Castle to be fighting out the finish again. Can only strip fitter second up and expect the Neil Osborne-trained mare to bounce out and make her own luck from in front.
Dangers: Wary of 10. Mas Dinero stepping out for Joseph Ible for the first time. He is a nine start maiden so has had his chances but many of his runs have been in town. Could be too classy. 5. Red Hot Moon has been disappointing lately but still inclined to keep her safe.
How to play it: Fancythatmo WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) and 7,10 QUINELLA Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 1:25PM 1300 BUGMAN PTY LTD MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)|
Deep race with plenty of winning hopes but 13. Polished Penny only has to hold her form to figure here again having run second at Hawkesbury last start. She is a 19 start maiden but is banging the door down to finally break through.
Dangers: 7. Akelas Charm gets map favours from a low draw and Greg Ryan steering. Like the way this Bjorn Baker-trained filly has been working to the line. 10. Lateral Missile might be the less fancied stablemate to Akelas Charm but he’s more than a travelling companion.
How to play it: Polished Penny WIN ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 4 - 2:00PM PARKES SERVICES CLUB BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Powerscourt is in a purple patch of form at the moment winning three of his past seven starts. Didn’t look comfortable on the heavy track at Canberra last start but still ran second and the winner has won again since. That was six weeks ago.
Dangers: 8. Testing Times needed 1300m to break her maiden in her first preparation. No knock on her ability, and she has trialled strongly in very good company, but looks a touch vulnerable over 1000m. Can win but she’s short enough.
How to play it: Powerscourt EACH WAY ($5 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 2:35PM HANKOOK TYRES CLASS 2 PLATE (1200 METRES)|
4. Side Hustle is exceptionally well placed under the set weight conditions of this race. It’s certainly not the most conventional preparation back from an 1800m win to 1200m three weeks later but the three-year-old’s first up win over this trip at Kembla Grange was very good.
Dangers: 14. Zem Factor is another well treated already being a provincial winner himself. That was first up last preparation where he beat Great News (won at Wyong last week). Gets blinkers for the first time but could be a touch vulnerable late first up over 1200m from the wide draw
How to play it: Side Hustle WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 6 - 3:10PM OVER THE LINE RACING SATELLITE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Gold Touch is the highest rated runner here but only carries 0.5kg over the minimum after the 3kg claim. The Luke Pepper-trained mare a winner of seven races already and the last time we saw her she knocked off Sausedge at Canberra. A repeat of that wins this.
Dangers: 4. Fermanagh Lad will spear across from the wide draw to be handy and wasn’t beaten far by Miss Scorcher two back. 1. Demonstrate has a low percentage racing style but he’ll get the breaks one day shortly and win at big odds.
How to play it: Gold Touch WIN ($8 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 7 - 3:50PM XXXX GOLD PARKES CUP (1600 METRES)|
3. Steamin’ won the Forbes Cup and Dubbo Cup last year and is well placed to add the Parkes Cup to his CV after two very encouraging runs this time back. The latest of those was at Canterbury when not beaten far by Come Along. The speed will be on and the evergreen eight-year-old will be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 2. Assault’n’bathory ran his rivals ragged at Canberra last start in a return to form. 5. Mackellar’s Love will ensure he doesn’t get any peace in front though. 4. Generalissimo jumps sharply out to the mile but drops in the weights while 10. Toulon Brook will be closing hard.
How to play it: Steamin’ WIN ($7 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 4:30PM PARKVIEW MOTOR INN BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
3. Catcha Crown was posted wide last start before being chopped out late which accentuated her losing margin. That was in a very fast race won by Hit The Target. Her form was very good prior running third to Zelago and winning at Dubbo in good style.
Dangers: Backmarker 11. Rawson Crossing was beaten fair and square by Catcha Crown a couple of runs ago but he beat Miss Charlie and 8. Patrick May two back before never get a clear crack at his rivals a Wellington last start. The market has missed him.
How to play it: Catcha Crown WIN ($16 TAB Fixed Odds) and BOX QUINELLA 3,11,8 Odds & Evens: ODDS