By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Nowra Cup Day at Goulburn on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:00PM DMAX SPIRIT OF TRUCK MAIDEN SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1150 METRES)|
2. Out To Lunch was chasing the entire race on debut at Kembla Grange behind the speedy Spaceboy. Was impressed that the three-year-old kept closing across the line given the shape of the race. Blinkers go on for the first time.
Dangers: Gary Moore’s debutant 4. Corbin has shown glimpses of ability in his trials, and he has had plenty of them! 3. Our Bellagio Miss has a race experience and fitness edge over most here as well as a proven wet record.
How to play it: Out To Lunch WIN ($5 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 2 - 12:40PM MU-X READY WHEN YOU ARE CLASS 1 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
2. River Charge presents as a very fit horse here on the quick turnaround having been competitive at Scone over the mile in a deeper race than this. Holding her form well at the moment and imagine she rolls forward to make this a test.
Dangers: 5. Wichita Warrior won his maiden in style at Moruya clocking similar time to the benchmark race on the same day. Still has plenty of upside, as does 10. Noble Alert. More was expected on debut but the blinkers go on and respect Matt Smith’s placement here.
How to play it: River Charge WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 1:20PM DMAX BUILT FROM HISTORY CLASS 2 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Lunar Tramp speared to the line to win at Hawkesbury a fortnight ago, back from a 42 week spell and having her first start for Jason Coyle. It was the win of a mare capable of stringing a couple together. Unproven in heavy ground but gets through soft so happy to take the gamble.
Dangers: 6. On The Take is fully fit now and has her hoof on the till. The four-year-old wasn’t far away at Wagga last start and presents at the top of her game now fourth up. The knock is she is perhaps looking for 1400m.
How to play it: Lunar Tramp WIN ($3.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 4 - 2:00PM SHOALHAVEN ISUZU UTE BELLE OF THE SOUTH - F&M BENCHMARK 66 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
6. Polhampton has a significant fitness edge on many of her key rivals here and was a winner at this track a couple of runs back. Has been solid since then including a last start fourth in provincial company. In her only heavy track run she ran fourth but at Rosehill behind Lashes.
Dangers: 5. Islands is four weeks between runs but should have a good base from a long preparation. Was okay recently on a heavy track at Hawkesbury in a tougher race than this and Brad Widdup has always has a good opinion of her.
How to play it: Polhampton WIN ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 2:36PM MU-X GO YOUR OWN WAY BENCHMARK 58 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
6. Thorn Brook will find this much easier than the last three races he has found himself in having been beaten by the likes of Pauper, Tejori and Brazen Gem. Presents at his top now third up, races on speed and should be in the money again.
Dangers: 4. Luxurial appreciated the cut out of the ground two back to win well at Nowra. That’s now two wins from her past four starts. Winning form looks good form in this trick race. 13. Mop The Floor a sneaky blowout.
How to play it: Thorn Brook WIN ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 6 - 3:10PM DMAX DEPEND ON IT CLASS 3 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
8. Benfica Maid is deep into a preparation but is holding her form and a repeat of any of her recent runs has her in the finish again here. She’s on the seven day backup having run second to Stockman at Wyong. She’s rock hard fit, makes her own luck and is a wet track winner.
Dangers: 2. I Arize is a touch one-paced but that’s why he is so effective on wet tracks as it dulls the sprint of his rivals. Is four weeks between starts but runs well fresh and has a 1900m run under his belt. The blinkers come off.
How to play it: Benfica Maid WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 7 - 3:50PM COUNTRY MOTOR COMPANY NOWRA SHOWCASE CUP (1600 METRES)|
5. Regal Stage hasn’t been out of the money in four starts back this campaign. He was well beaten at Bathurst two runs back but the winner broke the track record. Got nabbed on the line last start at Warwick Farm. The wet track won’t stop him either.
Dangers: 10. Donandkim bounced back last start at Warwick Farm after a disappointing showing at Rosehill. Looks well placed here albeit with limited wet track exposure. 3. Brazen is hit and miss but worth including in wider exotic at odds.
How to play it: Regal Stage WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 8 - 4:30PM X-RUNNER BORN TO FREESTYLE COUNTRY MAIDEN SHOWCASE PLATE (1400 METRES)|
3. Clem Fandango finds a very winnable maiden and doesn’t have to improve a great deal on what he did last week at Moruya on debut to be in the finish here. Was safely held when fifth but with that experience under his belt and out to 1400m, he’s hard to beat.
Dangers: 12. So Say You was deep-ended by trainer Terry Robinson last start at Canterbury and she wasn’t disgraced despite jumping triple figure odds. 1. Belleistic Lad looks the bets of the rest but is still a very raw.
How to play it: Clem Fandango WIN ($4 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT