By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Sunday’s Gilgandra Cup meeting. With overnight rain the track is rated soft 7.
|Race 1 – 12.45PM KELLY & ASTILL LAWYERS & LEN KELLY FAMILY PLATE (1100 METRES)|
8. Rose Park had over a year between trials and showed a lot more in her latest, almost a month ago, when leading and battling on well. Has the inside and a claim so another to keep an eye on.
Dangers: 12. Super Chance seemed to have her chance last time at Dubbo but fitter for it and drawn a lot kinder this time around. Expect some improvement from her. 4. Foxstorm didn’t do a whole lot on debut then better effort running third at Scone on a heavy track from on the speed. Did start $21 there so needs to back it up but every chance he could. 11. Miss Parmigiana was formerly with the Maher and Eustace stable and trialled for Mel O'Gorman at Scone running a sound third. Keep safe.
How to play it: Rose Park E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Rose Park runs third in a trial at Gunnedah on December 5
|Race 2 - 1:20PM SECRETARY ANNE HALL APPRECIATION PLATE (1100 METRES)|
12. Yallah Sunrise appeals each-way, her second-up run at Dubbo was better than it looks. She was back from a wide gate and didn’t look happy until she swung clear of the kickback then attacked the line. Had support at odds and could back it up here.
Dangers: 10. Fox On The Rocks has been beaten as a short priced favourite in both runs this time in so is getting costly. Didn’t seem to like Dubbo last time so may be worth forgiving and he’s drawn to have his chance. 4. Geesheehan is a 14 start maiden but showed he’s not far off a win with a game second at Dubbo almost a month ago. Five unplaced runs at this trip is a small concern but in the mix. 3. Dawn Strike pulled up lame after a failure on a heavy track at Dubbo back in August so overlook that. Two other starts solid and fitter for a recent trial. Could show up.
How to play it: Yallah Sunrise E/W ($10 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Yallah Sunrise runs seventh at Dubbo on December 8
|Race 3 – 1.55PM INLAND PETROLEUM HANDICAP (1280 METRES)|
11. Manadria has signalled a win isn’t too far off with placings in three of his last four starts. Tried hard at Dubbo last time and drops 3kg into this race. Drawn well again and should be competitive.
Dangers: 4. Unrestricted had a tough run first-up at Mudgee and dropped right out, prepared to overlook that run. Raced well without winning last time in and with a bit better luck can be a big improver. 1. Rochester was jagged back to last from a wide gate first-up and ran on nicely without threatening. Barrier one and blinkers on should see him closer and he’s one to keep an eye on. 9. Gold Lunar had support at Dubbo first-up and didn’t look comfortable so forgiving her. She’ll be fitter, drawn well and slight gear change worth noting. Go well.
How to play it: Manadria WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Manadria runs second at Dubbo on December 8
|Race 4 – 2.30PM GILGANDRA TOYOTA HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
5. Urus is an on pacer who might get a bit of control here up in trip and was well supported at Gunnedah in a race the form has stood up okay from so far. Is a 13 start maiden but good chance.
Dangers: 3. Money Not My God had a good run in transit and battled behind the placings at Scone last time. Extra trip might be in his favour and drawn to again get the favours. 9. Galleries Supreme has the outside gate to contend with but ran up to expectation, given some support, when closing off into third at Dubbo two weeks ago. Blinkers on and chance with some luck. 4. Intense Passion has been thereabouts in three recent runs and was placed on a soft 7 before a break. Each-way hopes.
How to play it: Urus WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Urus runs fifth at Gunnedah on December 15
|Race 5 – 3.05PM GILGANDRA SERVICES CLUB CO-OP LTD COO-EE CUP (1800 METRES)|
3. Inkjet looked very strong finishing off the mile at Warren and the runner-up has since won so the form is good. Extra trip should be no worry and can only be reaching his peak now fourth-up. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 2. Glover drops 2kg on a very impressive win at 2000m at Coonamble and has a racing style that should see him race handy. Concussion plates go on (front), small query with that, but a definite chance. 4. Harwok’n’zoff chased Inkjet home at Warren then held them off to score at a mile at Dubbo eight days later. Racing so well he has to be considered a good chance against similar opposition. 11. Tomatin ran fourth in the Inkjet race at Warren then surged late to get close to Harwok’n’zoff so his form ties in. Each-way chance.
How to play it: Inkjet E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Inkjet wins at Warren on December 11
|Race 6 - 3:40PM AHRENS GROUP AND ARMATREE HOTEL HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
4. Fox Spirit was brave in defeat at Mudgee after working hard early, to hold on for third was a handy effort. Much kinder draw here, a month between runs to get over a tough run looks ideal and this might be her best chance to break through.
Dangers: 7. Matter Of Factor won at her only start here and gave a good sight in front at Dubbo a couple of weeks back. Will be on the speed from the wide gate and has each-way claims. 15. Crimson Rose is racing very well without winning, raced handy at Armidale and stuck on then hit the line well at Moree on a heavy track. Firmer ground suits and she has a show again. 13. Time For Don has struck good form without winning with three seconds on end. Not a lot of wet track exposure but keep in mind.
How to play it: Fox Spirit WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fox Spirit runs third at Mudgee on December 4
|Race 7 – 4.15PM GILGANDRA NEWSPAPERS PTY LTD & FORAN FAMILY TOWN PLATE (1100 METRES)|
8. What The Fuss was an impressive Dubbo winner three runs back and has contested a couple of strong Highway races since. Not disgraced hitting the line late at Randwick last time and the form around him reads well for this. Good chance.
Dangers: 7. Wallace Street had a nice run behind them and proved a bit too strong when resuming at Dubbo and has again drawn to get some favours. Second-up form is a bit patchy but must be respected. 3. Rogue Runner chased Wallace Street home then finished too strong to win at Dubbo running down 2. I Am Capitan in the closing stages. Weights slightly favour the latter but there’s not much between them.
How to play it: What The Fuss E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
What The Fuss runs seventh at Randwick on December 12
|Race 8 - 4:55PM NUTRIEN AG SOLUTIONS GILGANDRA CUP (1600 METRES)|
2. Shamusu Sho has been unsuited in both starts this time in but hasn’t performed badly when running on from well back. Up to the mile from a favourable draw suits, his best win was at this trip and this looks a target race. Hard to stop. Read trainer Cody Morgan's comments here.
Dangers: 11. Petain comes into this on the back of a handy win at Orange over a mile and gets a nice weight drop to help out. Racing consistently and has each-way claims at odds. 8. Universal Thief had a month between runs when finishing just behind them in the Ted Ryder Cup at Wagga. Was $51 there but it was a BM85 race and this is well below that level. Can feature. 5. Bells 'N' Bows chased Petain home at Orange in a return to form and a repeat effort would have her in the mix.
How to play it: Shamusu Sho WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Shamusu Sho runs third at Moree on December 19
|Race 9 - 5:35PM CPS THOMAS BELLHAUSEN IRVIN PTY LTD HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
2. Mont Genep has been around the mark lately but his racing style means he needs some favours on the speed. Likely leader here and can give a sight.
Dangers: 7. Messy Miss was a surprise winner at $31 at Dubbo second-up but she overcame a wide gate and won comfortably so there didn’t look to be any fluke about it. Expect her to hold form and if she does she can run well here. 11. Gogh Fox was a winner at Grafton fresh back in July and has performed in all conditions. Can show up fresh again. 14. Josie's Jet is rarely too far away with a string of close up efforts behind the placings lately. Should race handy from an inside gate and can be in the placings this time.
How to play it: Mont Genep E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Mont Genep runs fifth at Orange on December 14