By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Coffs Harbour. Heavy track after overnight rain.
|Race 1 – 12:40PM RAINE & HORNE TOORAMINA/SAWTELL HANDICAP (810 METRES)|
3. Parksville is no good thing, given some first starters have trialled well, but has race experience from a solid debut at Eagle Farm where he showed gate speed to sit handy and battled away for third. Impressive trial win here prior to that so well worth another chance.
Dangers: 5. Endangered Species is a very interesting debutant who has trialled for both Kris Lees and Team Hawkes prior to landing here with Joanne Hardy. No public trials for the new stable but what he showed in his latest at Rosehill was enough to keep him safe. 9. Let Us Loose had six weeks between trials and the latest of those was a strange one as she opened up a big lead then was allowed to coast down the home straight with a couple running past her late. Watch betting. 1. All Too Holy trialled for Cody Morgan before switching to the local stable and he made a late surge to run second in a trial at Armidale at the start of the month. Might be a tad short for him but they’ll likely fly over the short course so he could hit the line hard.
How to play it: Parksville WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS
Parksville runs third at Eagle Farm on December 16
|Race 2 – 1.15PM RACING CARNIVAL ESCAPES HANDICAP (1012 METRES)|
4. Makuba looks well suited here on the back of a couple of top efforts over the short course on varying track conditions. Led on a heavy last time and reeled in late. Drawn nicely and wet no worries. Hard to see him not being a major player.
Dangers: 1. Capannello has the blinkers on for the first time and that might help him snap a run of outs stretching back to April. Did have his chance at Taree last start but with the shades on could lift. 8. Slice Of Heaven disappointed first-up at Coffs then always well back in a fast run Highway at Randwick. Forgiving the latest and while she’s only lightly raced and nicely drawn here she’s capable of improving. 10. Memphis Squaw was a heavy track winner in September and recent Victorian form has been honest aside from her last start at Mornington. Could show up.
How to play it: Makuba WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Makuba runs third at Taree on December 20
|Race 3 – 1:50PM LA FLEUR D’ALYSE HANDICAP (1615 METRES)|
4. Saintly Sunrise suggested he’d come back well with a nice first-up effort here then stayed at 1300m and didn’t get into it in a pretty solid Highway at Randwick. Maiden win was at this trip at Wyong and should be fitter for two runs from a long break. Each-way chance.
Dangers: 2. Greenskeeper won well first-up at Port Macquarie then fair to say he’s had his chance in two thirds since then. Ridden closer at Mudgee last time, may get back and look to hit the line from the wider gate here. 8. Paavo is the probable leader given the way he reacted to being allowed to stride at Gunnedah two weeks ago in his best effort this time in. Could take some running down. 5. Lucitor looked as though he was only getting warm second-up at 1400m at Mudgee so the mile will be in his favour. Might just want that bit further but if they overdo it he’d come into play.
How to play it: Saintly Sunrise E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Saintly Sunrise runs third at Coffs Harbour on December 3
|Race 4 – 2:25PM J SOCIETY HANDICAP (1315 METRES)|
6. Jakuta wasn’t asked for a whole lot in his only trial this time in so watch betting for a pointer. He generally runs a nice race first-up and his best form is on a heavy track so he's well worth an each-way look fresh.
Dangers: 5. Misterzee has been competitive without winning this time in and seemed to have every chance in the same race as Baileys when third at Tuncurry as a well backed favourite. Might have his chance now after the scratchings, and he handles the wet, but is becoming costly. 3. Dundee Lee went off the boil in the second half of last prep but form early on is good enough. All three wins have come on soft or heavy and could run a race first-up. 10. Nanakorobi Yaoki was racing consistently before having a shot at a Highway at Randwick 11 days ago. Battled on fairly there and this looks easier.
How to play it: Jakuta E/W ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Jakuta's trial at Coffs Harbour on December 3
|Race 5 – 3:05PM COUNTRY TO COAST PEST CONTROL PLATE (1415 METRES)|
4. Gilded Crown did more than enough first-up for the new stable when a closing second at Gunnedah two weeks ago. Has to be fitter for it and shapes as though the extra 100m or so will be a plus. Drawn well and should feature.
Dangers: 8. Scenic Sunrise didn’t do a whole lot on debut but improved sharply second-up when running on from well back into third at Ballina. Was beaten five lengths but gets an extra 155m so no surprise if he runs on into a placing at least. 13. Tickle Me Scarlett has started big odds at both appearances to date and produced a much better effort to run second at Mudgee a few weeks ago. Drawn one again so has the chance to hold that form. 16. Justitia was only fair when resuming at Newcastle but is more at home over this sort of trip. Still a 50-50 proposition in the wet but chance to prove herself on both fronts.
How to play it: Gilded Crown WIN ($3.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Gilded Crown runs second at Gunnedah on December 15
|Race 6 – 3:40PM SAWTELL HOTEL HANDICAP (1012 METRES)|
2. Fantini showed some promise in the southern districts earlier this year and resumes for local stable with an impressive Moree trial win under her belt, where she beat a couple of well performed horses. If she can stay in touch from gate one she should be hard to hold out. Read trainer Aiden St Vincent's comments here.
Dangers: 1. Ciao Uno is the logical horse to beat and she may be suited coming back in trip after being found out at 1200m at her past couple. Explosive over 1100m first-up, should be right on the speed and the one to get past. 4. The Neon Knight broke through in strong style first-up at Tuncurry after sitting on the speed. Wide gate a minus but if she can get across onto the pace she could easily measure up. 11. Falandy is fitter for two runs back in similar company and has a third and a fourth from two heavy track runs so that's a tick and might bring her into it.
How to play it: Fantini WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fantini wins a trial at Moree on December 19
|Race 7 – 4:15PM VELVETS ON JETTY HANDICAP (1012 METRES)|
1. Standing Bear bumped into a slick one first-up then not disgraced here second-up before a sound enough effort off a wide gate in a Highway at Randwick. Has the favours this time at the barrier, right back in class and entitled to go close.
Dangers: 2. Qadira Star won brilliantly fresh on a heavy track last prep then was a little disappointing in two subsequent starts on good ground. No public trials so betting a good guide, she gets the wet track she seems to be most effective on so have to include. 3. Fu Hao looked to have a bit in hand when resuming with an easy maiden win over this course five weeks ago. Kept fresh and drawn well so could easily handle the class rise. 11. Qukes produced her best effort for a while when she rushed into second place in a similar event last month. Was a $51 chance there but one to include in the trifectas.
How to play it: Standing Bear WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Standing Bear runs second at Coffs Harbour on December 3
|Race 8 – 4:50PM LE DAIN DESIGNS SUMMER CUP (2015 METRES)|
9. Lucky For Some doesn’t have the greatest strike rate but has been around the mark in similar races. Kept coming at Tuncurry last time when up 500m and meets the winner 1kg better. Good each-way chance in an open race.
Dangers: 6. Mighty Quinn put in a shocker when back 400m in trip at Gold Coast last time, tailing out, but form prior was pretty solid including a Ballina win at 1910m. Entitled to another chance. 1. Phylave put three together after breaking his maiden status at start 39 then probably outclassed at Newcastle in a BM64. Draws wide and has top eight but on previous form is a contender. 4. Political was a beaten favourite at his only attempt at this distance range and fair to say has been plain in two subsequent attempts. Best efforts have been on wet tracks so keep an eye on that.
How to play it: Lucky For Some E/W ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lucky For Some runs third at Tuncurry on December 7
|Race 9 – 5:30PM TWO TAILS WINES HANDICAP (1315 METRES)|
3. Stonecold Flex is well placed to post an overdue win. Run down late here two starts back then served it up to the smart Another One and held on quite well just missing a place in a Highway. Should roll across onto the speed, wet no issue, and be hard to run down.
Dangers: 4. Franklin Corners ran right up to a couple of solid soft track placings when breaking through on a heavy at Lismore last week. Backs up and strikes another wet track so could repeat. 9. Stormy Pluck found some form second-up after a flop when resuming to charge into second on a heavy track at Taree on December 20. Sure to be running on again. 1. A Million Dreams was safely held at Port Macquarie at his second run back but it was an improvement and he generally runs well in the wet. Each-way.
How to play it: Stonecold Flex WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Stonecold Flex runs fifth at Randwick on December 19