By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Coffs Harbour Cup meeting. Selections based on a soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:35PM SCHWEPPES KEN HOWARD CUP (2000 METRES)|
5. Galway looks very well placed coming back to 2000m after a solid effort in the South Grafton Cup at a mile. Handles all conditions and was impressive over this course two starts ago. Drawn ideally and should go close.
Dangers: 4. I’ll Miss You will find this easier than the Grafton Cup and she did run a handy race in the Prelude before that. Been a while between wins and though safely held by Galway three back that was a heavy track and she’s yet to fire in those conditions. Could surprise. 7. Trescha has mixed her form a bit lately but bolted in at Hawkesbury two runs back and had excuses at Kembla last start when wide throughout. That shouldn’t be an issue here from gate two and she’s entitled to another chance. 1. Ready For Danger is fitter for two runs back and his last win was at 2000m but have to say he needs to improve on what he’s shown since that last win. Bit short in the market too but down in class and if he’s going to improve it should be here.
How to play it: Galway WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Galway runs fifth at Grafton on July 5
|Race 2 – 1.10PM EAGLES PLUMBING SUPPLIES BLINKAN MISSIT (800 METRES)|
11. In A Step is a fast mare who should relish the short trip and gate one. Too quick at Taree two starts ago then well supported and led again but run down over the carnival at Grafton. Drops 3kg and should give a big sight.
Dangers: 2. Itz Invincible is a big query runner first-up for new stable without a public trial. In another life he’s a multiple city winner in Adelaide and a stakes placegetter in Melbourne. Host of gear changes and betting a good guide so keep an eye on him. 1. All Stand won this race last year and has been mixing it in stronger company this time in. Handy run first-up behind Witherspoon and is a proven weight carrier having won with 62.5kg. More than good enough. 4. Jule’s Spirit won at Casino in May and three runs since then have been competitive including a close up fourth in the Kirby at the Grafton carnival. Each-way claims.
How to play it: In A Step E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Inastep runs third at Grafton on July 9
|Race 3 – 1:50PM BELLBOWRIE MOTORS MERV MERCER MILE (1600 METRES)|
4. Chambermaid will need a bit of luck in running but had to like her first-up effort at Scone where she had a bit of support. That was her best fresh effort to date so it bodes well for the step up in distance. Good each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Ronan’s Rock was too good at Tamworth three starts ago and his two Highway runs since then have been okay behind Rothenburg. Back to the trials for a clean out since then and drawn perfectly. Big threat. 5. Honovi is an on pacer drawn in and with successive wins over a mile could easily go on with the job now he’s found that groove. 9. Enterprise Keren came back in distance at Ballina last start and only battled at best. Straight up to a mile is a big query but from a good gate probably gets her chance. Has been a bit costly though.
How to play it: Chambermaid E/W ($7.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Chambermaid runs second at Scone on July 19
|Race 4 – 2:25PM OOH MEDIA PLATE (1300 METRES)|
14. Full Press ran right up to a good trial on debut boxing on for third in a strong race at Grafton a month ago. New season three-year-old taking on older horses but better for the run and back to a maiden. Well worth another look.
Dangers: 11. Anamagic raced well below her best last time at Wyong but if she can reproduce her previous effort at Port Macquarie, when run down late, she could give a good sight. Has run six second placings, that’s the concern. 1. Amore Moderno was a beaten favourite first-up then sent out big odds and went down fighting in the Big Maiden at the Grafton carnival. Can’t fault his efforts in two runs back and is in the mix. 6. Great Marlow ran on for fourth in the same race at Grafton then in the market and finished midfield at Eagle Farm in a maiden. Has gate one and gets another shot at it here.
How to play it: Full Press E/W ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Full Press runs third at Grafton on July 9
|Race 5 – 3:05PM TOORMINA HOTEL HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Fair Dinkum has struck the perfect race for him to break through. His two runs since a Highway failure first-up have been excellent and to get so close on a heavy last time, considering he’s vulnerable in that sort of ground, shows how well he is going. Hard to beat.
Dangers: 5. Penny Dreadful ran a super race first-up at Taree finishing not far off Fair Dinkum and she didn’t have a lot of luck in the straight. Second-up form is much better and gets in well with the claim. Good chance at odds. 3. Pace Stick had a big rap on him after his debut win here a year ago. Not seen since having his chance at Ballina back in January and no public trials and a wide gate here. Be guided by the market but have to include him. 8. Impulsive Maneuver tends to run well fresh and is also generally competitive at his home track. Not raced since last October and no public trials so betting some kind but inclined to include him in the chances.
How to play it: Fair Dinkum WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Fair Dinkum runs third at Taree on July 28
|Race 6 – 3:40PM COFFS HARBOUR TOYOTA DANIEL BAKER SPRINT (1200 METRES)|
12. Tim’s Principal gets back and runs on and did a good job behind the smart Two Big Fari at Grafton a month ago. Consistent type who will run a nice race again, his chances dependent on a bit of luck in running.
Dangers: 5. Tivoli Street generally takes a run to get going but is also a consistent type. Ridden up to win her latest trial at Lismore, drawn well and should be around the mark at the finish. 13. Typhoon Bonnyfinished midfield in the Two Big Fari race at Grafton then under 61.5kg when holding second at Taree last week. In good form, doesn’t win out of turn but more than capable of snagging another placing at least. 1. Got Unders is probably better known over 1400m or so but he'd only need to run up to his fourth at Randwick two starts back to put himself in the finish somewhere.
How to play it: Tim's Principal E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Tim's Principal runs second at Grafton on July 9
|Race 7 – 4:15PM CARLTON DRAUGHT COFFS HARBOUR CUP (1600 METRES)|
10. Academy is a talented gelding who has been racing very well in town since a big first-up Wyong win. Ready for a mile and will appreciate getting out of the heavy range. It should be truly run and that will give him his best chance.
Dangers: 6. Jazzland races best when he can lead and do his own thing and he may have that chance, certainly early, from his inside gate. Too strong in the South Grafton Cup and if he holds that form he is in the finish. 8. Saxton Rock was solid in betting and lived up to win winning the Maclean Cup at Grafton third-up from a break. Draw is a bit sticky but won only start here and has won up to 1650m. Couldn’t leave out of the chances. 9. Zaunkonig was just tipped out over a mile at the Sunshine Coast and he's a much better horse in the soft range. Races on the pace and can stay on in the placings if they don't overdo it.
How to play it: Academy WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Academy runs third at Rosehill on July 25
|Race 8 – 4:50PM GRANT BASTIAN MEMORIAL HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Lose The Snip ran a sound third behind Two Big Fari at Grafton, continuing his consistent form from last preparation. Fitter for that and while yet to win second-up is never too far away and this looks a good chance to improve on that record.
Dangers: 10. Bells Approaching is lightly raced and racing out of his class but he’s looked good winning both his trials this time in. Won over this course back in December and is one to keep an eye on. 5. Lolly Dolly can be forgiven for failing in a Highway at Randwick a couple of months ago and comes here fresh. Put together two easy wins at this track before that and is well worth another chance. 9. Sugar Baby was racing consistently before her last start failure at Ballina. Inclined to forgive that, from an inside gate she can race handier and is not the worst.
How to play it: Lose The Snip WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Lose The Snip runs third at Grafton on July 9