By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Coffs Harbour meeting. Selections based on a good to soft track.
|Race 1 – 12:30PM EAGLES PLUMBING THE BLINKAN MISSIT (800 METRES)|
1. Agent Pippa is a very fast former WA mare who easily won her first start for Kris Lees at Rosehill a few weeks back. She’s only up 4kg on that and it’d be hard to see anything leading her over 800m from barrier one. If they can’t lead her they’re not likely to beat her.
Dangers: 5. Another Sin fought hard after a wide run on the pace when a game third in the Kirby at Grafton. So long as we don’t strike a heavy track, which seems unlikely, he should be in the finish. 3. Gunnaza has a 1.5kg swing for running second in the Prelude to 6. Mr Hennessy so there shouldn’t be too much between them. Both are locals and drawn alongside each other here, they can fight out a placing.
How to play it: Agent Pippa WIN ($1.55 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS
Agent Pippa leads all the way at Rosehill on July 13
|Race 2 - 1:05PM OOH MEDIA PLATE (1300 METRES)|
2. Maspoeta has managed to find one better in all three starts to date all by less than a length. He’s found Hugh Bowman, gate four and attacked the line over 1000m to just miss last time when back 530m in trip. Looks clearly the horse to beat.
Dangers: 13. Oh So Hot has been around in a few pretty strong maidens and she bumped into another promising one when second at Taree last time. She won’t be favourite here and is well worth including. 16. Colleoni wasn’t disgraced on debut running fourth at this track over 1012m and the extra ground is likely to be in his favour. Has a bit of upside so no surprise to see him improve into the placings at least. 10. Serlina probably found the trip too far at the end of last prep but was consistent prior to that. Is an 11 start maiden which is some concern but keep in mind.
How to play it: Maspoeta WIN ($2.15 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Maspoeta runs second at Grafton on July 10
|Race 3 – 1.40PM SCHWEPPES KEN HOWARD CUP (2000 METRES)|
4. Nistelrooy appeals as a good each-way chance back to a suitable trip. Was seven weeks between runs and looked a bit one paced here at the prelude meeting but was dynamic at 1900m prior to that. Expect him to run a big race.
Dangers: 2. Our Gravano is fitter for three runs back and defied his $31 starting price running a close third at Canterbury last week. Bowman rides at 62.5kg and he’s best on a wet track so keep an eye on the conditions but he’s obviously the horse to beat. 5. Lamma Hilton found the line nicely from last at Hawkesbury last time and she’s proved at this distance range. Will need some breaks from the wide gate but more than capable of being in the finish. 10. Rage Against showed he's getting back into some form with an improved second over this trip at Taree fourth-up. Races on the pace and could feature at the minor end of the money.
How to play it: Nistelrooy E/W ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Nistelrooy wins at Armidale two starts ago in June
|Race 4 – 2.20PM INSURANCE ADVISERNET HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
13. Manila Miss resumed with a super fourth at Grafton over 1100m, running an 11.51 last 200m (Punter's Intelligence), and lands in a very winnable race with an extra 100m and a likely decent tempo. Always improves with racing and she should be harder to hold out.
Dangers: 1. Je Suis Tycoon had a two month break before running on without threatening at Newcastle almost a month ago. Consistent last preparation and fitted with a trial since her last run. She’s one of the major chances again. 7. Vacate showed a return to form with a closing second at Grafton last start and this doesn’t look too much harder. Runner-up over this course five starts back and is an each-way player. 3. Engadine shook off a flop here second-up to post handy wins at Muswellbrook and Scone from on the speed. If he continues in the same vein he should give a good account again.
How to play it: Manila Miss E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Manila Miss runs a close fourth at Grafton on July 10
|Race 5 – 2.55PM THE PALMS @ TOORMINA HOTEL HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
9. Countercurrent seems to be working up to a win and it’s worth forgiving her defeat as a short priced favourite at Grafton second-up. She was kept busy in the lead and had nothing left when it mattered but only beaten a length. Down 2.5kg and has a good each-way hope.
Dangers: 5. Ashman might not have relished the heavy ground first-up at Grafton when a slight drifter but a better track here and Hugh Bowman to ride from gate two are big pluses. Entitled to another chance. 14. In A Step finally broke through after three placings to start her career with a game all the way win at Grafton and the form will be tested out with the runner-up going around in race two. Sticky gate but goes forward and has to be considered. 12. Danger Woman was consistent last time in around Taree and Port Macquarie and wouldn’t shock to see her run a cheeky race fresh from the inside alley. No trials so rely on betting for any pushes.
How to play it: Countercurrent E/W ($8.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Countercurrent runs fourth at Grafton on July 14
|Race 6 – 3.35PM COFFS TOYOTA DANIEL BAKER SPRINT (1200 METRES)|
9. Tarbert had good support first-up but couldn’t quite sprint like we know he can finishing midfield in the John Carlton Cup. Back to the trials for a warm up and has an imposing second-up record. Loves this track and looks hard to beat.
Dangers: 10. Dantga tried to lead all the way in the John Carlton and stuck on pretty well to run third. Best efforts are at Grafton but expecting him to give another good sight up on the speed. 5. Chalmers has Hugh Bowman and the form last prep to suggest he’s the one to beat but he’s yet to win below 1450m or first-up. Placed in the Provincial Championships Final in the autumn. Two trials off a freshen and he has to be included. 8. Taillevent started favourite in the Prelude to this race and bumped into a smart one finishing second. Down 2kg and also has the John Carlton form from three runs back so is an each-way chance at least.
How to play it: Tarbert WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Tarbert wins a trial at Grafton on July 14
|Race 7 - 4:10PM CARLTON DRAUGHT COFFS HARBOUR CUP (1600 METRES)|
7. Queen Of Kingston has an outside gate to contend with but she is a backmarker and she’s far too good to let her go around at $13 or so. Drops 8.5kg on that win and she is proven at a mile. With any luck in running she’s a fantastic each-way chance. Read trainer Daniel Bowen's comments here.
Dangers: 1. Hallelujah Boy hasn’t raced since placing in the G2 Hollindale at weight-for-age so isn’t badly weighted with 61kg. He was consistent through last prep including a first-up placing so at a mile expect him to be competitive. Watch for any support. 3. Curragh would probably like the sting right out of the ground but beat a smart one at Rosehill last time out and drops 3kg on that and picks up gate two. Consistent of late and sure to be somewhere in the money. 5. Looks Like Elvis was a popular second-up winner at Eagle farm and the mile holds no fears for him. Another honest type who is more than capable of taking this out.
How to play it: Queen Of Kingston E/W ($13 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Queen Of Kingston wins at Coffs Harbour on July 21
|Race 8 - 4:45PM BELLBOWRIE MOTORS MERV MERCER MILE (1600 METRES)|
2. Galway had no luck at all at Grafton last start, flashing home late after going sideways to get to the outside and clocked the fastest last 200m of the race of 11.71 (Punter's Intelligence). This is no harder and his form aside from a heavy track failure three back is very consistent. Will be hitting the line hard and has top claims.
Dangers: 5. Heaven’s High can be forgiven for a midfield finish in a Highway on a heavy track last time, prior to that placed behind Charmed Princess who then won the Grafton Guineas. Will be in the firing line for a long way. 1. Exclusive appreciated a fast tempo and rounded up his rivals easily in a Class 1 at Grafton and a mile doesn’t appear a problem. He’ll rely on the tempo again but so will Galway so he has to be included. 3. Malawi Gold seemed to have his chance in the same race as Galway at the Grafton carnival but he’s put in at all five runs this prep and could be worth another chance.
How to play it: Galway E/W ($6.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Galway runs fourth at Grafton July 10