Goulburn will host its blue-ribbon day of racing for 2018 this Sunday with the two stand out races being the $150,000 Best Western Goulburn Cup and The Guy Walter Fillies & Mares Handicap.
If last year’s Cup Day results are anything to go by then punters and form students should be watching closely how the results pan out for this year’s showcase meeting.
A number of horses that featured prominently in the results on Goulburn Cup Day in 2017 have since proven themselves horses to follow including:
• Cradle Mountain (Clare Cunningham) won his maiden and has since gone on to notch two city wins including a recent Saturday victory.
• Savatiano (Godolphin/ James Cummings) finished runner up in the 2017 edition of The Guy Walter Fillies & Mares Hcp and has since notched four wins and multiple placings at group level.
• Bye See (Mick Tubman) finished third in the 2017 edition of The Guy Walter Fillies & Mares Hcp and has gone on to secure two-city wins thereafter.
• Thrilled – was runner up in a maiden on Cup Day has then won three of his next five races including a city win.
• Aurora Rose – a winner on Goulburn Cup Day 2017 has since won races in two states and was a recent runner up in Saturday city grade behind Sexy Eyes.
• Dark Eyes – The Goulburn Cup winner in 2017 has since gone on to finish in the top four at Group 3 level and finish runner up in the listed Wyong Cup.
Goulburn Race Club CEO Robyn Fife says whilst the club would love to see similar form lines showcased through this year’s Cup meeting, it is just focused on giving horses and patrons a genuine country “Cup day experience”.
“A lot has happened at the club since last year’s Cup Day, including a major upgrade of the course proper irrigation system, installation of air conditioning throughout the clubs’ on course facilities and securing host rights to another heat of the Country Championships 2019,” Ms Fife said.
“This year we are looking forward to showcasing plenty of high class galloping action, live entertainment, keenly contested Fashions On The Field and entertainment for racegoers of all ages, all of which adds up to a great day out for locals or visitors to the tablelands.”
Ms Fife said whilst the club looks forward to the build-up to this Sunday’s cup it would also like to wish last year’s Goulburn Cup winning jockey Blake Shinn all the best with his ongoing journey towards a return to the saddle.
“Blake has always been a supporter of the club and had a close bond with Guy Walter and his horses when Guy & Wendy Walter had their base here. This time last year Blake was winning our cup and he’ll be missed this time, we hope to see him back here on Cup Day come 2019!”
Some of the other highlights on and off the track at Goulburn Cup Day include
• Running of the $150,000 Best Western Plus Goulburn Cup
• Running of The Guy Walter Fillies & Mares Hcp supported by Spendthrift Australia
• Partnering with Racing NSW to return almost $400,000 in prizemoney to industry participants on the day
• Having NRL, Raiders Star and Goulburn Cup Ambassador Jarrod Croker on course signing autographs and conducting a meet and greet.
• Multiples Fashions on the Field categories sponsored by NJB Racing (Tash Burleigh)
• Live bands
• Sky Racing raceday preview on track
• Mechanical bull, face painting, jumping castle
• Courtesy buses to and from the track from town.
Nominations for this year’s Goulburn Cup Showcase Meeting close Tuesday 20th November at 11.00am.
For updates on Goulburn Cup week events or to book hospitality follow us on social media or contact the club directly on 02 48 222222 / email firstname.lastname@example.org.