By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Sunday’s Wellington Boot meeting.
|Race 1 - 1:20PM ONE STOP AUTOMOTIVE BENCHMARK 58 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1700 METRES)|
3. Song One is turning back the clock with the eight-year-old flying at the moment. He brushed past his rivals to win at Coonamble last start and should get a track with some give in it again. Leading chance in an open race.
Dangers: It’s a similar case for 7. Ben Shoof, another well exposed galloper in a purple patch of form having won two of his past three starts. 9. Bacinblac is close to another win and brings a strong SP profile.
How to play it: Song One WIN Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 2 - 1:55PM LLOYDS SERVICES COUNTRY MAIDEN SHOWCASE PLATE (1400 METRES)|
Keen to see what 3. Tank Attack can do third up out to 1400m. It was an encouraging return behind Miss Mayfield first up before he kept finding the line in very heavy conditions at Coonamble last start.
Dangers: 2. Shylock has less convictions than his rivals with just two starts next to his name and he looks ready to win out to 1400m given how he found the line over 1200m a month ago. 12. Gold Lunar best of the rest.
How to play it: Tank Attack WIN Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:35PM LSS LOCKSMITH & SECURITY SOLUTIONS 3YO & UP MAIDEN PLATE (1000 METRES)|
5. How’s It Kev was all over the heels of two horses that have already won five races between them in a trial at Orange back in November. He’s unsighted since but at the price, he’s worth an each way ticket.
Dangers: The debutants look to have this race covered. 6. Nice Water is the obvious one on the back of a four length trial win but the market hasn’t missed that. Lily’s Lolly is another one that impressed in a Muswellbrook heat.
How to play it: How’s It Kev EACH WAY Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 3:15PM KURRINDA BLOODSTOCK COUNTRY MAGIC CLASS 1 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
3. Lope De Broker was only caught late at Scone last start and he’ll give these something to catch again. Prior to that he displayed sustained speed to win first up at Tamworth. Hard fit now, it’ll be handle bars down and catch me if you can.
Dangers: 10. Winside has a very wide draw but if she isn’t scratched, be wary as she looks very smart. 5. The Drover shouldn’t be underestimated either, even though he'll be better over further.
How to play it: Lope De Broker WIN Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:50PM KFC ZINGER BENCHMARK 66 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (900 METRES)|
The 900m scamper is very much a specialist distance so look no further than 6. Nobody’s Puppet . The speedy grey mare boasts a record of 5:3-1-1 over the trip with the latest of those coming at Queanbeyan two starts ago.
Dangers: 7. Tango Stepz has had plenty of success over 900m herself (6:2-1-1). She also draws well, which gives Reece Jones options. 4. Redirect is close to enough win, albeit dropping back from 1200m.
How to play it: Nobody’s Puppet WIN Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 4:26PM KEIRLES PHARMACY WELLINGTON CUP SHOWCASE (1700 METRES)|
There is a lot of speed engaged here which gives local hope 5. Fast Talking the chance to finish over the top. Hit the line hard at Cowra first up and jumps straight out to his right trip. This looks a target race.
Dangers: 1. Kiss The Bride has 63kg but he’s well accustomed to carrying big weights and he maps to tuck in behind the speed. 4. Foxborough comes off a last start Canterbury win.
How to play it: Fast Talking WIN ($11 TAB Fixed) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 5:05PM HERMITAGE HILL WELLINGTON BOOT SHOWCASE (1100 METRES)|
13. Sonnet Star really attacked the line behind smart filly Najmaty on debut at Randwick and the third horse there had previously run midfield in the Gimcrack behind Enthaar. There is a lot of speed and she’ll get the last say.
Dangers: Stablemate 14. Tidal Impact beat her rivals by 10 lengths at Coonamble on debut. You can’t do much more than that. The draw is a touch tricky, however. Throw 8. In The Blink into any exotics after a sound debut in a deep race at Canterbury.
How to play it: Sonnet Star WIN Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 5:45PM WELLINGTON SOLDIERS CLUB WELLINGTON TOWN PLATE SHOWCASE OPEN HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
8. What The Fuss hasn’t finished outside of the quinella in her last five runs. He’s hard fit, has won two from two this track and trip and maps to get the run of the race. There are plenty of angles to take in this race but he has to be in the finish again.
Dangers: 5. Nictock will give a sight and the drying track, as well as a number of scratchings, play into his hands. 6. Sneak Preview will be strongest late.
How to play it: What The Fuss EACH WAY Odds & Evens: SPLIT