By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for the Tamworth’s Newhaven Park Country Championships meeting.
|Race 1 - 12:55PM TAB LAWN PARTY COUNTRY ONLY SHOWCASE MAIDEN PLATE (1200 METRES)|
8. Finding Alice made late ground at Newcastle on debut to run third in what has turned out to be a hot little maiden. Calgary Queen and Members Only have both won again since. Had trialled well prior, drops back to country company and can only improve at her second outing.
Dangers: 3. Maningrida resumed from a 62 week lay off first up and he was attacked throughout by Accelerant (scratched) yet still boxed on to finish third. Gets the blinkers on, draws well and strips fitter. 5. Trumped Up trialled nicely for Cody Morgan.
How to play it: Finding Alice WIN ($10 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 1:35PM WIN TV SHOWCASE MAIDEN HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
3. Lalvani showed brilliant gate speed on debut at Scone before being run down late. The Dundeel gelding will appreciate the extra 100m, gets the blinkers on for the first time and tipping he’ll jump out of the ground with the run under his belt.
Dangers: 4. Dulcero gave a kick at the top of the straight at Mudgee last start but laboured to finish fourth. This isn’t any harder and she’s hard fit now fourth up. 5. The Gossiper beat Lalvani home when they met but doesn’t have the upside.
How to play it: Lalvani WIN ($5 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:10PM TAMWORTH 92.9FM SHOWCASE CLASS 1 & MAIDEN PLATE (1600 METRES)|
Have liked the past two runs of 12. Everluck where nothing has gone her way. Two back she took off early and was left a sitting shot late before never getting a clear crack at her rivals at Tamworth last start. Overs in an open race.
Dangers: 14. Wiki is the most lightly-raced galloper in the field and a maiden win isn’t far away. Well found in the market, however, and there is chances right across the board in this field.
How to play it: Everluck WIN ($12 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 4 - 2:45PM GREAT NORTHERN TAMWORTH CUP 23 APRIL COUNTRY ONLY SHOWCASE CLASS 2 PLATE (1200 METRES)|
10. Sunstone gunned down 5. Nicator to win her first start for Cody Morgan. It was an impressive victory too. The four-year-old has since cruised to the line in a tickover trial at Tamworth matching motors with Yulong Base.
Dangers: 13. Austeja had always teased to have above average ability and it all clicked at start four a fortnight ago bolting in at Scone. Can go on with it now.
How to play it: Sunstone EACH WAY ($9 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:25PM FURNEYS STOCK FEED SHOWCASE BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
13. Satin Ruby is a mare that needs to start turning places into wins and a change of stable might see that with Cody Morgan taking over her training. Has been competitive in town in the past so if the market support gives the green light, back her with confidence.
Dangers: 7. Liberty Head was posted wide the trip at Scone last start and he knocked up. He was a fourth up winner last preparation. 12. Joey’s Chance drops back from three Highway starts.
How to play it: Satin Ruby WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 6 - 4:05PM CONCRETE INDUSTRY SUPPLIES SHOWCASE BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Deepwood Vale savaged the line over 1300m at Scone first up. Had plenty go against him last preparation including wet tracks, wide runs and was even impeded by a race fall. Like the booking of Dylan Gibbons taking 2kg off.
Dangers: 11. Unrestricted is hard fit and makes his own luck. Just has a wide draw to overcome. 4. Photgenic is another on pacer that went down in a blanket finish at Quirindi. Still has upside too.
How to play it: Deepwood Vale WIN ($3.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 7 - 4:45PM NEWHAVEN PARK H&NWRA COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS QUALIFIER (1400 METRES)|
11. Spriranac was beaten seven lengths and ran last at her most recent start but that hardly tells the whole story. It was a Group Three at Randwick behind Tailleur! The other thing to note is that it was a wet track, racing more like a heavy surface than a soft one, which this four-year-old doesn’t enjoy. It was simply the run she had to have to have her primed third up for this qualifier out to 1400m. Her first up win at Gosford where she rattled home from the tail to beat subsequent city winner Coco Cuber tells you everything you need to know about how well she has returned. She won three on the bounce last preparation, all by dominant margins. The speed will be on here and she’ll get the last crack.
Dangers: Love the way 5. Eiger has found the line in his two runs back this time and he gets a 5.5kg weight swing on 3. Ronan’s Rock. 15. Pure Fuego also sets up well coming off a provincial second at Newcastle, having his first crack at 1400m. His two wins prior to that were impressive. He’ll likely settle out the back but the speed should be genuine enough for him to get his chance. 7. Rich And Shameless has been steeled for this win a mile win at this track a fortnight ago. Scott Singleton has obviously done that by design and it could prove a masterstroke.
How to play it: Spiranac WIN ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 8 - 5:25PM THRIFTY CAR RENTAL SHOWCASE BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
9. My Sister Carole is flying for Brett Cavanough and third up with the blinkers going on, she’ll hunt forward and give these something to catch from in front. She's the horse to beat after the scratching of Winside.
Dangers: 6. Casino Lord beat a subsequent winner at Tamworth last start and will be closing hard late.
How to play it: My Sister Carole WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT