By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Friday’s Tamworth meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 - 12:15PM THANK YOU HELIFARMERS COUNTRY MAIDEN PLATE (1000 METRES)|
4. Montari is a slight risk of finding the trip a bit short but he’s fresh and should be able to take some advantage of a nice gate. Competitive throughout his first prep and you had to like his trial, though safely held, behind Burning Crown. Good chance.
Dangers: 6. The Big Seal has race fitness on his side through seconds at Wellington and Dubbo this time in and it’s fair to say he had his chance in both. That said, he’ll be prominent throughout here from a much kinder draw and has to be the threat. 15. Sookeysie is an interesting first starter from the Cody Morgan stable, she’s trialled a number of times but the latest was a handy effort at Scone. Still looks green but worth respecting. 14. Outta De Lady made a lie of her starting price on debut here a few weeks ago, crossing on speed from a wide gate and fighting hard for third. Again draws wide so expect she’ll head forward and has claims.
How to play it: Montari WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Montari runs second in a Scone trial on June 14
|Race 2 - 12:50PM COMMUNITY'S OWN SHOWCASE MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)|
12. Really Serious looks well placed to be competitive here after a solid effort in a very strong maiden at Newcastle third-up. The winner is smart and the runner-up was narrowly beaten at Canterbury midweek. Expect she’ll race handy and should run well.
Dangers: 5. Taborca is ex-Chris Waller and had his first run for the Crockett yard with an even effort at Dubbo finishing third. Was favourite there and will be fitter so with a slightly more economical run has to be hard to beat. 9. Flying Squad needs some luck from a wide gate but is consistent with a string of placings of late. Blinkers go on after a third at Gunnedah a month ago and has to be included in the chances. 2. Blue Guitar commands some respect if there’s support on debut. Trialled twice in June and the latest was an improvement, drawn soft and in good hands. Keep safe.
How to play it: Really Serious E/W ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Really Serious runs fourth at Newcastle on June 11
|Race 3 - 1:25PM TAMWORTH CARPET ONE SHOWCASE BM66 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
8. Superdeel is worth a look each-way. Comes off a forgive run second-up when in the market but had a tough run and dropped out. Fresh effort here was excellent, has won over this course and draws much better. Expect a sharp improvement.
Dangers: 3. Fanmalia was far from disgraced when resuming at Muswellbrook over 1280, he was stuck on the inferior going and boxed on well. Great stats at this trip, has the 2kg claim and is sure to be very competitive. 6. Onemorechoice has been in the finish at both runs this time around and gets some weight relief for rising in class. Worth including. 7. Too Much Class should appreciate a firmer track after not really firing in two runs back on heavy ground. Last win was this trip at Scone in September. Improver.
How to play it: Superdeel E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Superdeel’s first-up run at Tamworth on May 16
|Race 4 - 2:05PM IN MEMORY OF PATRON CLIFF MARSH C1 & MDN PLATE (1600 METRES)|
11. Miss Nicolini comes into this in top form with a virtual exhibition gallop to win a maiden at Glen Innes then an outstanding performance to get as close as she did at Moree a month ago after being slowly out. Strikes a winnable race and if she can take advantage of gate one goes close.
Dangers: 10. Mirror Queen is the logical danger. Should have finished a lot closer here when resuming, was badly cut out about 150m to go, then never a threat on a heavy at Newcastle. Bred to relish a mile and this is much easier. Hard to beat. 2. Bon Vavont has won one in 25 but is racing pretty well of late. Beaten favourite when third at Coffs Harbour last time but a firmer track will likely suit. Include in the trifectas. 6. Den Moss has been fair in three runs in, gave a bit of a sight at Coonamble last start over a mile. Placed both runs here and could fill a minor spot.
How to play it: Miss Nicolini WIN ($3.30 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Miss Nicolini runs second at Moree on May 19
|Race 5 - 2:40PM THANK YOU VOLUNTEERS SHOWCASE MAIDEN HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
8. Tyquendo might be worth a look first-up if there’s some support. He was honest enough last time in with a Newcastle placing his best effort but there was something to like about his latest trial. Nicely drawn and is an each-way chance.
Dangers: 1. Lovelier was with Chris Waller in Queensland for her four runs back this prep, now with Stirling Osland and not seen publicly since her Sunshine Coast synthetic placing six weeks ago. Certainly shown enough to be winning a maiden somewhere and has to be respected. 4. Tiempe Passate might be the best horse in the race but 1200m isn’t really her speciality, particularly given the wide gate. Showed promise for the Freedman yard with a few provincial placings over more ground. Now with Cody Morgan, excellent trial win and blinkers on. Keep safe, but watch for next time over a bit further. 14. Rhiannon is a 2yo on debut and she has been trialling okay on the Central Coast of late. Draws one and any support should be respected.
How to play it: Tyquendo E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Tyquendo runs third in a Newcastle trial on June 15
|Race 6 - 3:20PM GRAYMONT SHOWCASE OPEN HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
10. Keep On Bopping is probably the most interesting runner, ex McEvoy and first run for Sue Grills. Had a handy record prior to not firing last prep but looked happy trialling alongside Burning Crown here a few weeks ago. If he runs up to that he’ll be in the finish.
Dangers: 2. Cecilia was a first-up winner last time in and resumes after a midfield finish in the Hunter & North West Country Championships here in March. Very honest mare and she will be competitive fresh. 5. Unrestricted pulled up lame after the Walcha Cup and was rested. Won a Class 3 over this course back in December and while he’s yet to place when first-up it wouldn’t surprise to see him run a cheeky race. 4. Zouologist has a worrying strike rate but he does regularly find himself in the placings. Race handy and hit the lead before being reeled in at Muswellbrook last time. Will be thereabouts again.
How to play it: Keep On Bopping WIN ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Keep On Bopping wins a trial at Tamworth on May 31
|Race 7 - 3:55PM WESTPAC RESCUE HELICOPTER SERVICE C3 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Oakfield Storm is an up and comer who won well over this course two starts back before a game second at Wyong last week. Drops 1kg and returns to country grade, races handy and sure to take some beating.
Dangers: 10. Rock The Dream is racing well for the new stable and was far too strong scoring at Armidale over this trip on a heavy track third-up. Dry no issues for her and she should run well again. 9. Lucky Banner is a backmarker and generally makes things hard for herself but her best efforts in Highway grade would see her very competitive here. Fitter for one run back at Rosehill where she ran on to finish midfield. In the mix. 4. McNair has been thereabouts since his second-up win and boxed on okay into third at Dubbo a few weeks back. One of the each-way chances.
How to play it: Oakfield Storm WIN ($2.70 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Oakfield Storm runs second at Wyong on June 16
|Race 8 - 4:35PM EVERINGHAM SOLOMONS 150 YEARS BM58 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
9. Le Melody couldn’t have been more impressive in her debut win at Muswellbrook back in January and looms large over this race. Appears to have come back well looking at her recent trial win, she will go forward and is the one to catch.
Dangers: 5. Moetta looked the winner in the straight only to be outgunned on the inside in a close finish at Warren last time out when favourite. On pacer who is racing well and sure to give another good account. 1. Ostracised ran well at his first start for Cody Morgan first-up last prep before going under as an odds-on favourite here in December. Fitter for two trials and the claim and gate one help. Keep safe. 10. Deepstar might be one of the outsiders but she did pull up lame at her last run when a $3.30 chance and looked to be going nicely in her trial. Interesting runner.
How to play it: Le Melody WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Le Melody wins a trial at Muswellbrook on June 8