By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for the Mid North Coast’s Newhaven Park Country Championships meeting, which was transferred from Taree to Scone.
|Race 1 - 12:55PM DE BORTOLI WINES SHOWCASE CLASS 1 & MAIDEN PLATE (2100 METRES)|
4. Dragon Dream gave his rivals a touch up over the mile last start and being a half-brother to a Queensland Derby winner, he’ll relish this 2100m trip. He has plenty to learn but he is a stayer with a stack of upside.
Dangers: It’s a similar case for 5. The Night Train with only a handful of starts between the pair. The Night Train has the benefit of a run over 1900m coming into this and the Paul Perry stable is on fire at the moment.
How to play it: Dragon Dream WIN ($6 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 1:35PM XXXX GOLD SHOWCASE CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Bonnie Joy is hard fit now deep into a preparation, which is key to getting the most out of this front-running mare. Tipping we’ll see Dylan Gibbons attempt to run his rivals into the ground, spearing across from the wide draw. Another win is close.
Dangers: 3. Pandora Blue won her maiden in emphatic fashion at Muswellbrook a fortnight ago after trialling well. There’s no telling exactly how good she is with only two starts to her name. 2. Areya Tuchuzy might be worth another chance.
How to play it: Bonnie Joy WIN ($4.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:10PM STACKS LAW FIRM SHOWCASE MAIDEN HANDICAP (1250 METRES)|
3. Sancta has trialled very nicely for Adam Duggan ahead of her debut here. The daughter of So You Think started out with Team Hawkes but she’s clearly settled in well to her Gosford surrounds. There isn’t much depth to this field.
Dangers: 2. Luminoso got out to the mile last preparation but she fought out the finish with Pizzly first up over 1200m last campaign. A repeat of that has her somewhere in the finish again. The trade off being that she started $71 that day.
How to play it: Sancta WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 2:45PM 2RE SHOWCASE COUNTRY MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)|
12. Wanna Tweet was a beaten favourite at Port Macquarie first up but he can only strip fitter for that and this is a shade easier if anything. Has been around the mark in all five of his career runs for trainer Todd Howlett and won’t get a better chance to crack his maiden.
Dangers: 2. Are We Good improved sharply at his second start getting back onto firmer ground. With any luck in the straight he’d have gone close. 9. Ramsey’s Law didn’t get the clearest passage last start either.
How to play it: Wanna Tweet WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 5 - 3:25PM TAB.COM.AU SHOWCASE BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
1. Tallis ran second in a BM83 last start so this is a significant drop back in class. That was on a good track. The scratching of In A Step helps his cause too meaning Dylan Gibbons can make a beeline for the front. Well placed in this.
Dangers: 10. Engadine is holding his form really well at the moment being kept to the shorter trips. Has been running at provincial level in his last three runs and the five-year-old can only run well again.
How to play it: Tallis WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 4:05PM KENNARDS HIRE - TAREE SHOWCASE BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Jahbath hasn’t exactly been banging the door down to win again but he certainly gets his chance in this, out the mile. How short he is the market says everything you need to know about his rivals. His class can get him home.
Dangers: 2. Flying Mojo is a dominant last start winner so arrives here with his tail up. Tends to race best when he’s put into the race from the outset so tactics look crucial. 3. Senatorial will be grinding home late.
How to play it: Jahbath WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 7 - 4:45PM NEWHAVEN PARK MNCRA COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS QUALIFIER (1400 METRES)|
11. Monica’s Star raced wide throughout last start at Port Macquarie. That was first up too, yet she still kept driving to the line to be beaten less than a length. That was four weeks ago. Out to 1400m looks a perfect progression now and although she has settled out the back in her last four starts she has shown in the past that she can settle closer. If Louise Day, who has ridden her in seven of her nine career starts, can hold a spot midfield from the inside draw and Monica’s Star still lets down with the same powerful sprint we know she possesses, it’s going to take a big performance from one of her rivals to hold her off. The open Scone track will suit and so will the firmer footing. It’s all fallen into place for the Joel and Wayne Wilkes-trained mare.
Dangers: 10. Bellastar matched motors with Monica’s Star at Port Macquarie before running well again since. She is desperate for 1400m but maps to be a long way back from the wide draw. There is no such concern for Allan Kehoe’s three-prong attack who all map to be in the first half dozen. 1. Subtle Grey is the highest rated runner in the field and although he has spent a long time on the sidelines, three trials has him ready to go first up. 6. Casirina will need the speed to be frantic but if they overdo it up front, few horses will be closing harder than him.
How to play it: Monica’s Star WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 5:25PM IRON JACK SHOWCASE CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
Lightly-raced filly 5. Sequana has built a handy little record already just four starts into her career and like the way she trucked to the line in a January barrier trial at Gosford. There’s a stack of speed for her to tuck in behind before rushing home late.
Dangers: 4 Little White Lies was scratched from Saturday’s Highway for this and is chasing three straight wins. This is harder again and the form through her last start Dubbo win hasn’t stacked up since but she’ll make her own luck again.
How to play it: Sequana WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT