By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Nowra on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 1:20PM GREAT NORTHERN CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Nicci’s Fling has a stack more upside than any of her rivals and despite only winning by a narrow margin the last time we saw her, there was a huge gap back to third and the time stacked up across the meeting. This is very winnable.
Dangers: Not sure what clicked all of a sudden for 3. Cops And Robbers but at start 19 she made a mess of a maiden field at Canberra last start. There was substance to the win on the clock too. 1. Belle Of Clonmel rounds out the chances.
How to play it: Nicci’s Fling ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 1:55PM REMEMBERING GOWAN WILLIAMS MAIDEN HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
There’s just three placings among this field from a collective 28 starts. Enter the first starter 5. Bedford Square . Don’t be fooled by this filly’s latest trial. It was in open company against Quackerjack and Into The Abyss! That’s why we are getting a big price.
Dangers: 2. Fast Melody has been very costly to punters in her six start career but her Randwick trial win suggests she’ll run well here. 1. Westgrove was well backed on debut but found the 930m too sharp.
How to play it: Bedford Square EACH WAY ($21 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:30PM KEL CAMPBELL FUEL HAULAGE CLASS 1 & MAIDEN PLATE (2200 METRES)|
8. No Complaints has been around the mark in four runs this time back which gives him a great grounding for his first crack at the 2200m trip. Was beaten at Goulburn three back when $1.90 favourite so brings a strong SP profile into this too.
Dangers: 9. Reinman is not without a knockout hope in this at massive odds. The four-year-old wasn’t too bad last start at Wyong and will appreciate the drop back to country grade.
How to play it: Leave Me Be WIN ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 3:05PM TAB LONG MAY WE PLAY MAIDEN PLATE (1600 METRES)|
5. Sebring Lass was well beaten at Newcastle last start but that was a deep race. Be very forgiving of her first up failure at Gosford on a Heavy 10 surface. Don’t think there is a lot between the first half a dozen or so chances in this race so siding with the one at the longest odds.
Dangers: 6. Shadow Girl ran third behind Zebrowski back in March and ran third to Brandenburg on debut. 9. Essential Sky is a lightly raced galloper in the John Sargent yard capable of showing up in this.
How to play it: Sebring Lass EACH WAY ($21 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:45PM PETE'S PLUMBING BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
10. Land Ahoy held his ground well at Newcastle first up behind smart galloper Bucharest after being very easy in betting. Don’t expect that to be the case here. Out to the mile is perfect now and he does look a touch too classy for this grade.
Dangers: 1. Art Of Excellence is a hard horse to peg back when he jumps and runs along. Was outgunned at Goulburn last start but went down fighting. Loves this track (4:2-1-0). 2. First Courier next best.
How to play it: Land Ahoy WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 4:24PM VALE RICK WORTHINGTON BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
November 14, 2018. That’s the last time 1. Skyray won. It’s not an inspiring way to start making a case for a horse to win but I’d reason that the five-year-old has never been better placed to break the run of outs. A BM58 at Nowra with a 55kg minimum. Surely.
Dangers: 2. Double Major does have anywhere near the convictions of his rivals here with just two starts to his name. Won on debut over this same track and trip before disappointing at Goulburn.
How to play it: Skyray WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 7 - 5:00PM COUNTRY MOTOR GROUP MAIDEN PLATE (1100 METRES)|
2. O’Mudgee is worth another chance. The four-year-old was heavily backed at Newcastle first up but went awful. It was too bad to be true. Has trialled nicely since. Ran fourth at Warwick Farm in his first preparation not beaten far by Travest.
Dangers: 7. Beautified and 9. Luftwaffe both did more than enough on their respective debuts in provincial company. 10. Nicci’s Song looks the best of the debutants having showed nice acceleration in a trial win.
How to play it: O’Mudgee WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT