By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Nowra.
|Race 1 - 1:45PM LIGHTHOUSE PLUMBING CLASS 1 HANDICAP- HEAT OF THE RISING STAR (1000 METRES)|
What price 1. Rocketing By in this? All being equal, the colt shouldn’t have to raise much of a sweat in putting these away. He is already proven to be a city-class galloper in his five starts. Looked great in a recent trial and David Pfieffer has been patient in finding a first up assignment.
Dangers: 2. Giordano was posted wide first up at Goulburn and knocked up late as he was entitled to. Did run second to Our Bellagio Miss at the backend of last preparation. That’s good enough to go close in this.
How to play it: Rocketing By WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 2:20PM HANLON WINDOWS F&M MAIDEN PLATE (1100 METRES)|
3. Miss Anticipation has had plenty of chances but she brings strong form lines into this country maiden, including a recent Warwick Farm fourth behind Dance and Mount Fuji. Will pakr behind the speed and get the last crack.
Dangers: 4. Amungee has run second in all three of her career runs, showing a stack of speed before being gunned down late. Expect another bold run from on speed again. She’s hard to knock but you're being asked to take odds on.
How to play it: Miss Anticipation WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:55PM BOMADERRY BOWLING CLUB CG&E MAIDEN PLATE (1100 METRES)|
12. Van Gogh was never a threat on debut at Wyong but he drops back to country grade and did enough in his two trials back to suggest he could knock off a country maiden. Looks well placed by Bott and Waterhouse.
Dangers: Stablemate 13. Vivenzo also warrants respect on debut but am particularly wary of Carlisle Bay, dropping back from city class. The blinkers go on for the first time and he has trialled sweetly since.
How to play it: Van Gogh WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 3:35PM H Q INSURANCE MAIDEN HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Siakam debuts over 1400m and with the blinkers on. There’s some intent to be read into that for this Bjorn Baker trained gelding. Grant Buckley rides from a soft draw. Did more than enough in his trials. Top pick in a wide open race.
Dangers: 5. Rocky Edge could be a sharp improver out to 1400m after drawing wide at Goulburn and finding 1200m too short. Liked his late work. Settles closer in this? It’s a similar case for 6. High View. He also looks desperate for the extra trip.
How to play it: Siakam WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 5 - 4:15PM KNK BUILDERS CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Lexi’s Choice went down by 0.4L at Newcastle in a driving finish last start. She drops back to country grade and should be at her top now third up. She has been a tease for much of her career but this is a perfect race for her.
Dangers: If 3. Dream Maiden resumes having run four straight seconds at the backend of last preparation. Can race well fresh over 1400m in this company. 5. Ilvermorny got too far back last start. He can improve.
How to play it: Lexi’s Choice WIN ($6 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 4:50PM COUNTRY CHAMPIONSHIPS @SCTC BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
9. Accoy was heavily backed to beat Mr Gee at Hawkesbury last start but plodded home over 2000m. He comes back to the mile off a four week freshen and looks well placed to make amends. Handles the wet and maps well.
Dangers: 1. American Salute brings provincial and city form to the table. He hasn’t been far away either. Only has to hold his form to be a player. 6. Garros could be the sharp improver. He is a swimmer.
How to play it: Accoy WIN ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 5:30PM MCDONALDS SHOALHAVEN BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
2. Direct Default won well at the Sapphire Coast last start, albeit tiring late. He was entitled to feel the pinch being second up. Peaks now third up, handles the wet and can be positively ridden to offset the draw.
Dangers: 10. Eurosay just missed last start and held his own in a Highway prior to that. Stablemates 7. Halliday Road and 9. Michael Oscar are well exposed but only have to hold their form to be competitive once more.
How to play it: Direct Default WIN ($8 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS