By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Sunday’s Mudgee meeting.
|Race 1 - 1:28PM MIDWESTERN REGIONAL COUNCIL CLASS 3 HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Toro Toro was stretched out in trip to have a crack at the Country Championships series but he didn’t run it out. Four weeks later he drops back to 1100m and into a Class 3 at Mudgee. He is lumped with 61kg but has a class edge.
Dangers: 6. Miss Mayfield was beaten fair and square as an odds on pop last start but there was a gap back to third. 3. Primal Scream has won two from three for Cam Crockett and has trialled sweetly this time back.
How to play it: Toro Toro WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 2:03PM HAPPY EASTER 3YO MAIDEN PLATE (1100 METRES)|
5. Hasalake was heavily backed at Gosford first up but found one too sharp over 1000. The third horse All Girls has won since, franking the form. The extra 100m suits and she drops back to country company. Won’t be a maiden for long.
Dangers: 2. Keen Idea has a tricky draw to overcome but like the way this gelding has been trialling ahead of his debut. 4. Five Bob trialled well at Wellington recently too, after being well supported on debut back in August last year.
How to play it: Hasalake WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:38PM PINK UP MUDGEE MAIDEN PLATE (1100 METRES)|
12. Sancta beat herself at Gosford on debut, racing a touch keenly in front over 1200m. She was gunned down late but the run of a coming winner. The filly drops back to country company and in trip to 1100m which looks ideal. Should win.
Dangers: 8. Cheval Cat is still a work in progress but she does have talent. Found 1000m too sharp first up. 1. Camo’s Dream showed enough in one trial to run well in this given there looks to be only a handful of chances.
How to play it: Sancta WIN ($2.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 4 - 3:18PM TAB BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
6. Casino Kid didn’t have much luck last start at Scone over 1400m. He sets up well fourth up out to the mile from the middle draw. The three-year-old has been costly to punters in the past but he won’t find a more winnable race than this.
Dangers: 1. French Response drops back in class having run in town and at the provincials in his two runs back. 7. One Star Shining is getting closer to another win but may have been flattered last start by the heavy track.
How to play it: Casino Kid WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:58PM SEA EAGLES V TITANS IN MUDGEE 17TH APRIL MAIDEN HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Ricky Bobby resumes over 1400m and with the winkers going on for the first time. Hasn’t had an official barrier trial this time back but there’s some intent to be read into the first up set up. Showed enough ability in his first campaign and this is a very winnable race.
Dangers: 4. Lozenger faded to finish eighth on debut for Kody Nestor but she was trapped wide throughout. That was her debut and her trial suggested she is capable of much better. She doesn't have the convictions of most here.
How to play it: Ricky Bobby WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 4:38PM GOREE PARK BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
9. O’tartan Lass belted her rivals first up at Orange to flag that she has returned a better filly in her second campaign. Like the progression out to 1400m and although this is significantly deeper than what she beat last start, she’s a deserved favourite.
Dangers: 7. Patrick May wasn’t beaten all that far in a Country Championships qualifier last start and has the speed to offset the wide draw and race handy. 2. Achi Baba the best knockout getting back onto a dry track.
How to play it: O’tartan Lass WIN ($3.20 TAB Fixed) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 5:18PM OATLEY WINES BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
A lot of horses here are capable on their day but none have the upside 3. The Drover. He did enough first up over 1100m at Wellington which was only last Sunday. Backs up quickly and steps out to 1200. Bolted in second up last campaign.
Dangers: 1. Black Sunrise doesn’t lack for talent but he has only won one from 16. That’s the knock. Has been freshened up since his last start sixth at Mudgee, dropping back to 1200m. 12. Stellar Blaze has an even worse strikerate.
How to play it: The Drover WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS