By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Moree on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:40PM MCGREGOR GOURLAY & CAMPBELL’S FUEL SERVICE MAIDEN PLATE (1300 METRES)|
If 2. Highbury can’t win this, he might be destined to stay a maiden forever. This is a very weak maiden and the frustrating four-year-old should put these away. Made a late dive to just miss at Taree last start. In an ideal world this’d be 1400m but it shouldn’t matter.
Dangers: 8. So And So is the big unknown being a first starter. Looked to do it very easily in a barrier trial but the form out of that heat is suspect. Other than that, 9. Desmos produced his best effort yet last time out.
How to play it: Highbury WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 2 - 1:20PM B & W RURAL CLASS 1 & MAIDEN PLATE (1600 METRES)|
5. Fight For Love broke a long run of outs at Inverell last start, winning by a lazy 10 lengths and running faster time than the BM50. Her form prior to that was rock solid too with Mark Stewart getting her career back on track. The one to beat.
Dangers: 9. For Da Boys is a maiden lining up in a Class 1 and is the early favourite such is the depth in this race. Ran on as $2.90 chance at scone last start behind Wadi Musa. Despite skipping a grade, looks well placed staying at a mile.
How to play it: Fight For Love WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 3 - 1:55PM KMH ELECTRICAL & STEPHEN SPARKE JEWELLERS MAIDEN HCP (950 METRES)|
Impossible to be tip with confidence here with a number of first starts mixed in with horses having their first runs for new yards. One of those is 3. You’re Joking . The former Gwenda Markwell-trained mare has raced in much stronger company than this.
Dangers: 12. Pump It Up debuted back in December last year behind Bartley and Ballistic Lover, a deep Kembla maiden. Four trials later and a stable change here she is at Moree for Stirling Osland. Monitor betting.
How to play it: You’re Joking WIN ($8 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 2:30PM CH BOUTIQUE HOTEL CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
4. Resetting Edge just found the 1200m a touch too sharp at Narromine last start when running a narrow second to Sue’s Girlfriend on a Heavy 10. Ideally this would be 1400m but this five-year-old is racing in career best form for Craig Martyn.
Dangers: 1. Crackerjack Kenny has only won one from 15 but he’s better than a Class 1 horse. Hasn’t won beyond 1000m but hit the line last start over 1250m. Like the way 3. Bridges To Babylon worked home in a Highway last time out.
How to play it: Resetting Edge WIN ($5 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:06PM ORICA MOREE TOWN PLATE (950 METRES)|
Veteran sprinter 3. Hard Stride pops down from Queensland for this race and the 10-year-old looks well placed coming out of deeper races than his rivals. He went around $81 at Doomben last start but was only collared late with Just Orm winning.
Dangers: 2. Under The Thumb’s best two recent runs have been over 1000m, one of which was a win over Kookabaa at Dubbo. 7. Golden Avenger boasts a 3:2-1-0 over this trip.
How to play it: Hard Stride WIN ($8 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 3:45PM NORTH WEST EVENTS BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
5. Cabriere is racing as well as ever this preparation and got a confidence-boosting win at Inverell last start. Prior to that he had flashed home here at Moree and then again at Coffs Harbour. Can settle closer from the inside.
Dangers: 1. Master Cramsie carries 61kg after the claim as a BM64 rater in a 58. Has won eight from 22 and will make his own luck. 10. Rosesay found the front at Scone last start and that change of tactic saw her find some form.
How to play it: Cabriere WIN ($10 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 4:24PM NOW FM 2VM CLASS 3 HANDICAP (950 METRES)|
2. Lord Tony is a distance specialist (9:3-2-2). He’ll come out running and be hard to chase down. It’s been nine weeks since he had no luck in a 1000m Highway Handicap at Randwick. Prior to that he ran second in an open sprint at Tamworth.
Dangers: 5. Fortnite has a handy record (14:3-2-2) and will be charging late. The 1200m back to 950m is the query having won at Inverell a fortnight ago. Prior to that he can third to Tudor Music at scone.
How to play it: Lord Tony WIN ($4.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 5:00PM PACIFIC NATIONAL MOREE CUP (1400 METRES)|
8. Hammoon Ballad was a fourth up winner last preparation and wouldn’t be surprised to see sharp improvement here from the mare. Was dragged back to last at Scone before making late ground. This appears a target race and the speed up front will suit.
Dangers: There was little between 5. Pat’s Nipper and 6. Mysticism last start. The blinkers go on Pat’s Nipper signalling intent third up. 3. Beacon will run well if his recent efforts haven’t flattened him.
How to play it: Hammoon Ballad EACH WAY ($26 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT