By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Thursday’s Lismore meeting. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 - 12:50PM XXXX GOLD SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1410 METRES)|
2. Exhibitor is a consistent type who has had a few chances but she’ll get another one here. Beaten as favourite at her last three at her home track but competitive in all of them and drawn to be in the finish again.
Dangers: 1. Think High resumed with a handy effort at Grafton running on from well back into second. Had plenty of support there and perhaps the extra distance will be in his favour here. Good chance. 3. Fresh Prince raced on the pace at the Sunshine Coast over a mile last time and boxed on okay. Lightly raced, drawn one and is well worth considering. 8. Miss Marcie is a 15 start maiden but she’s had three starts at Lismore and run well in all of them. Probably too far back here last time when running into fourth and wouldn’t surprise if she’s placed again.
How to play it: Exhibitor WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Exhibitor runs third at Lismore on September 9
|Race 2 - 1:25PM O'BRIEN ELECTRICAL & PLUMBING PLATE (1210 METRES)|
2. Daedalus seemed a little outsped first-up getting well back over 1006m but he charged home into third in a handy effort. Much better suited up in trip and this is a good chance for him to break through.
Dangers: 8. More Than Buttons is starting to hit form with a couple of nice efforts in the minor placings at this track of late. Raced on speed and fought on to run second over 1300m last time. Should be thereabouts again. 10. Captial Gamble is another query runner on debut for Kacy Fogden and has trialled recently on the Sunshine Coast. 7. Hardly The End is a local on debut and showed good speed when leading all the way to an easy trial win at Grafton. Worth including.
How to play it: Daedalus WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Majella runs second at Kensington on September 1
|Race 3 - 2:05PM LISMORE TOYOTA CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1410 METRES)|
1. Bahamut showed a lot of promise last time in over slightly more ground but this trip suits first-up coming back to a Class 2. Has trialled twice and while beaten a few lengths in the latest he looked good. Sure to run well fresh.
Dangers: 2. Beef Week Princess rarely puts in a bad one and she scored at this track and distance two starts back before an even effort as favourite in a BM58. Up in class and drawn wide but has strong claims. 3. Blue Tone has been mixing distances with his past two wins coming at 1600m and 1710m and he was placed at 2100m between those. If he can find a spot on speed he could be hard to get past. 5. Electric Miss has been around the mark without winning of late stringing four placings on end. Had her chance here last time but is an each-way hope again.
How to play it: Bahamut E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Bahamut runs second in a Lismore trial on September 9
|Race 4 - 2:40PM THE LISMORE WORKERS CLUB ROUSILLON HANDICAP (1526 METRES)|
3. Baileys faces a sharp jump in trip second-up but his resumption was eye-catching over an unsuitable trip. All wins are in this distance range and while drawn out there looks enough speed for him to have his chance.
Dangers: 2. This Is So has run well in all three starts for the new stable and wasn’t disgraced despite going under as favourite at Taree last time. Nicely drawn and appears the main threat. 7. Magic Charlee is up in grade but drops 8.5kg on his even effort at Grafton a few weeks back. Placed over this track and trip last time and has a case to be somewhere in the finish. 1. Nothingforthepress didn’t fire in the Murwillumbah Cup but runner-up in the Casino Cup prior and on that effort is more than capable of being competitive here.
How to play it: Baileys WIN ($2.25 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Baileys runs third at Lismore on September 9
|Race 5 - 3:15PM LISMORE WORKERS GOLF CLUB CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1210 METRES)|
4. Split Jete looked very good winning a maiden here at his second start then went straight to Class 3 and didn’t come into it at all. Back to his right grade and he should be hard to hold out.
Dangers: 6. Coastal Charm gave nothing else a chance as she led all the way to a maiden win here two weeks ago. Should land in front or on pace from a good gate and could go on with it. 1. Luz Long was quite consistent in his first preparation and stretched out to a mile before a spell when placed at Coffs Harbour. Might get back from the outside gate but look for him to be running on strongly. 3. Emma Rosa has found form with a couple of handy placings at her past two starts and while beaten favourite at Grafton last time she ran on well. Must be considered.
How to play it: Split Jete WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: EVENS.
Split Jete wins at Lismore on August 23
|Race 6 - 3:50PM WESTPAC RESCUE HELICOPTER UNTAMED SPRINT (1210 METRES)|
1. Amirykal is racing in top form and should appreciate the likely solid tempo here. Too tough winning the lead up to this race two weeks ago and with the claim is so well in she has to be the horse to beat.
Dangers: 4. Valiant is a very interesting runner who hasn’t raced since winning this race last year by a clear margin after leading. No public trials but drawn to find the front and commands some respect. Read trainer Steven Wise's comments here. 3. The Drake is in very good form this preparation and has been competitive at provincial level of late. Didn’t threaten the winner but ran on well into third at Wyong last time and can’t be overlooked. 5. See It Thru had good support when narrowly beaten by Amirykal last time. A little better off at the weights and has a show.
How to play it: Amirykal WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Amirykal wins at Lismore on September 9
|Race 7 - 4:25PM M&T TYRES LISMORE CUP (2110 METRES)|
1. Macchina Volante backed up his easy Murwillumbah Cup win with another solid effort in the prelude to this race two weeks ago. Down 2kg on that and had a perfect build up for this race.
Dangers: 4. Nemingah chased Macchina Volante home in the Prelude last start and is getting close to a win. Just doesn’t win out of turn but sure to get a nice run and have his chance to be in the finish. 5. Riot Act won twice at 1800m at the Gold Coast before going under at $1.65 there just over a week ago. Outside the top couple there’s not a lot more depth here so he’s worth another look. 3. Pleased didn't measure up in a stronger race at Doomben last time but chance on wins at Coffs Harbour and Murwillumbah prior.
How to play it: Macchina Volante WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Macchina Volante wins at Lismore on September 9
|Race 8 - 5:05PM TRINITY COLLEGE LISMORE COUNTRY MAGIC HANDICAP (1310 METRES)|
11. Qukes is flying and followed a tough Class 1 win at Grafton with a dominat effort at Armidale a week later. Up a touch in class but draws nicely and back down in the weight has a good shot at the hat-trick.
Dangers: 8. Humanitarian was quite impressive breaking through for a maiden win here a month ago and could measure up. Draw a little tricky but he’s a horse on the way up and has a show. 2. Sugar Zone led all the way to win in this class last month and while he’s up 4kg on that he races on speed and if he finds the front he can be hard to run down. 1. Jacksprat appreciated a drop in class when leading all the way over 1516m here two weeks ago off a wide gate. Up 2kg but can't overlook.
How to play it: Qukes E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Qukes wins at Armidale on September 11