Next NSW Race

Latest News

Injured Lismore Turf Club Secretary Update

Lismore Turf Club's Secretary Manager, Scott Jones, was involved in an explosion at Lismore Racecourse on the morning of Thursday, 23 November 2017. Scott suffered burns to 45% of his body and is now in Royal Brisbane Hospital.

Update at 9am on Friday, 12th January 2018: Injured Lismore Turf Club secretary-manager, Scott Jones, continues to make great progress after suffering burns to 45% of his body in an explosion at the Lismore Racecourse. Wife Liz has reported that Scott was given an early release from hospital last week for the first time to spend a few days at home with his children in Lismore. Scott returned to Royal Brisbane Hospital on Monday for further physiotherapy and is expected to be discharged today.

Scott will return home but may still require some visits to Brisbane for further burns and physio checks. He is continuing to heal well but may need another skin graft. Southern Cross University at Lismore has generously provided Scott with a gym membership to help with his recovery.

Lismore Turf Club’s Deputy Chairman, Michael Cleaver, said the club will be holding a special meeting next Wednesday to discuss welcoming Scott back to the club. The Club is also planning a special fundraising event for Scott, possibly to be held in late February.

Update at 4pm on Tuesday, 5th December 2017: Scott Jones is now out of an induction coma, following the explosion at the Lismore Racecourse. Michael Cleaver, Deputy Chairman of Lismore Turf Club, said that Scott came out of the coma yesterday and has now been moved out of the intensive care unit of Royal Brisbane Hospital. Scott has been moved to the burns unit of Royal Brisbane Hospital where he will require further surgeries and ongoing treatment after suffering burns to 45% of his body. “Scott came out of his coma yesterday and he remembers everything that happened,” Michael Cleaver said. “We couldn’t be happier with his recovery so far. They were going to sit him up today and he has already asked for his laptop!” Michael said there is still a long road ahead, but doctors are happy with Scott’s lungs as he can now breathe by himself. Scott’s quick thinking to rinse himself with cool water in the jockeys room following the gas explosion may have saved his life and has helped with his recovery, Michael said. Lismore Turf Club is looking at holding a fundraising night for Scott in February 2018. club wants Scott to walk through the door at the event and will hold the event after he is discharged from hospital. The investigation into the explosion is still ongoing.
A 'Go Fund Me' page has been set up by Scott's friends where more than $36,000 has been raised to help support the Jones family - Click here to donate

Update 3:45pm on Friday, 24th November 2017: Scott Jones’ wife, Liz, has reported that she has been able to see him for the first time today after he was woken from a coma. Scott has undergone surgery and skin grafting at Royal Brisbane Hospital today and has been placed back in a coma in the intensive care unit. He is expected to remain in hospital for at least 8 weeks. Michael Cleaver, deputy chairman of the Lismore Turf Club, has praised Scott’s quick thinking after the explosion at Lismore Racecourse yesterday. “Remarkably, Scott staggered 100 yards to the jockeys room after the blast to get himself into a shower which doctors have said will help his recovery. We are all thinking of Scott and his family and the Lismore Turf Club and the entire racing community are getting right behind to support them during this difficult time.” Counselling has been provided to family and members of the Lismore racing community who responded to the incident. Michael Cleaver will be acting secretary-manager of Lismore Turf Club and all calls in the interim should be directed to him on 0455 183 541.

Update at 9pm on Thursday, 23rd November 2017: Scott was transferred to Royal Brisbane Hospital from Lismore, not Gold Coast Hospital as first expected. Racing NSW's Dr Duckworth has reported that Scott is in intensive care, intubated, with his family by his side. He has burns to 45% of his body and will be going to theatre tomorrow morning for skin grafting. Scott will be in hospital for at least 8 weeks and counselling support is being offered to Scott's family and responders to the unfortunate incident. Investigations into the explosion are ongoing.

Update at 10:45am on Thursday, 23rd November 2017: Scott Jones has been flown to Gold Coast Hospital, having suffered burns to approximately 45% of his body - primary his torso, arms, and legs, after a reported gas explosion at Lismore Racecourse this morning. Scott has also suffered a laceration on his face. The incident was responded to by Fire and Rescue and it has now handed over to police who will conduct an investigation into the incident.

The Latest Racing News

Thompson's Speedster His Best For The Day At Coonabarabran (Sat)

By Tony Megahey Gulgong’s multiple regional premiership trainer Brett Thompson is confident at value odds with emerging speedster Ellysay in ...
Read More

Widdup Confident Of Debut Win By Filly At Kembla Grange (Sat)

Trainer Brad Widdup believes speedy filly Mareeba is in at the right time of year and expects she can make ...
Read More

Jockeys Overweight - Saturday (24th April) To Tuesday (27th April)

Please note the following: ROYAL RANDWICK (Saturday 24th April) Race 1, No.11 - AHEAD START: James McDonald has permission to ...
Read More

Legh Vows To Enjoy Crusader's Everest Journey

By Ray Hickson Rupert Legh doesn’t take for granted what the TAB Everest provides a racehorse owner, regardless of their ...
Read More

Randwick Winners - Tips For Saturday 24th April

By Brad Gray Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Randwick. The rail is out 6m from ...
Read More
Racing NSW Apps
Mobile Version
Industry Links