By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Gundagai on Sunday.
The rail is in the True and the form has been done for a Soft track.
|Race 1 - 12:30PM WAGGA RACING SUPPORTERS CLUB MAIDEN HANDICAP (1180 METRES)|
3. Certain Shaft has been around the mark throughout his career and the four-year-old finds a very winnable race to kick off his campaign. Comfortably held 1. My Solaki when fourth at Wagga two back before running third at Wagga when hard in the market.
Dangers: The case for My Solaki turning the tables is that he strips fitter of the two here and gets a big weight swing after the 4kg claim. He isn’t far off a breakthrough win either and is also lightly raced.
How to play it: Certain Shaft WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 2 - 1:10PM MARGARET KEENAN MEMORIAL 3YO MAIDEN HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Temoin Chaud was an eye-catching fourth in a recent Goulburn trial. After jumping well, the son of Star Witness was allowed to balance up out the back and find the line under no riding. Monitor any market moves for the Nick Olive-trained debutant.
Dangers: 1. Supreme Kitty gets the services of Simon Miller here and did more than enough on debut when third at Albury to give this a nudge. 5. Alise should have finished a lot closer on debut after being strung up for a run and could be a knockout chance.
How to play it: Temoin Chaud WIN ($5 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 1:45PM RAY SILBURN CLASS 1 & MAIDEN PLATE (1800 METRES)|
6. Pride Of Kalaru for the Joseph and Jones yard will make his own luck over the 1800m which will take the four-year-old a long way in this even affair. After two consecutive seconds, is well placed to go one better.
Dangers: 12. Ron De Jambe brings a strong SP profile into this, albeit she is still a maiden. Made an early move at Goulburn last start and that told at the finish having loomed as the winner. 2. Bouddi next best.
How to play it: Pride Of Kalaru WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 4 - 2:20PM CARVALIN MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)|
10. In My Wallet steps out for the Joseph and Jones stable for the first time having formerly been trained by Gerald Ryan. Off her fifth at Goulburn over 1400m she’d be a big hope in this. Drawn to get every chance.
Dangers: 11. Sumdeel never got a crack at her rivals last start but looked to have plenty top offer. Suspect she’d have fought out the finish so the ninth in the form guide might mean big odds here. Just drawn very awkwardly. 7. Congenial Mistress also has a wide draw to overcome.
How to play it: In My Wallet WIN ($10 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 2:55PM DOMA HOTELS BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
11. Ultraviolet was a strong winner at Orange last start and Brendan Ward sticks with the Norm Gardiner-trained mare for another BM58. Drawn to get a similar run, the five-year-old will get every possible to go back-to-back.
Dangers: The Nick Olive-trained 4. Larmour is more of a middle distance type but 1400m fresh will see her competitive. 5.Our Volantis drops back sharply in trip but has the class to still run well.
How to play it: Ultraviolet WIN ($6 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 3:40PM SOUNDS OF THE MOUNTAINS CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
The stack of stable changes throughout this race makes it very tricky to assess but sticking with the class runner in 1. Biscara for Matthew Dale. Forgive last start at Moonee Valley while prior to that was nailed in the last stride having led at Pakenham.
Dangers: 3. Yulong Star has her first start for the Joseph and Jones stables but on her Adelaide form, she’ll run well in this from a cosy draw. Has always had market respect whenever she has run and would expect the same here.
How to play it: Biscara WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 4:15PM XXXX GOLD GUNDAGAI CUP (1800 METRES)|
The 63kg for 1. Zoffany’s Lad looks imposing on paper but he’s really quite well in given it’s a 55kg minimum. The last start city winner should be giving away a lot more weight. After three seconds in town he got his dues at Rosehill over 1900m holding off Bobby Dee and White Boots. This horse is racing right at the top of his game.
Dangers: 2. Great Glen for Todd Smart is building towards another win and like the way he has closed off in his last couple of starts. 5. Bezos has won two on the bounce and races on speed.
How to play it: Zoffany’s Lad WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 4:55PM TOOHEYS EXTRA DRY BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1180 METRES)|
6. Major Time rarely runs poorly and fits into this race well. The Gratz Vella-trained gelding has been in the money nine of his 14 starts. Just found the 1000m too sharp back from 1200m last start at Canberra. This suits better.
Dangers: 2. Superoo was impressive two back and draws to get his chance in a very competitive race where run in transit will go a long way to winning this. 9. Moss The Boss is worth keeping safe if big odds.
How to play it: Major Time WIN WIN ($4.20 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS