By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Sunday’s Gundagai meeting.
|Race 1 - 12:30PM FURPHY MAIDEN PLATE (1400 METRES)|
5. Morgenstern is a new addition to the James Ponsonby yard and the More Than Ready three-year-old has shown enough in Queensland to take beating in this winnable maiden. Trialled well at Warwick Farm to tune up for the 1400m.
Dangers: 1. Bubbler went forward last start out to the mile but the wet track and extra distance saw him out. This set up suits. 4. Lenny’s Lad is a touch one-paced but he is getting close to a breakthrough win.
How to play it: Morgenstern WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 2 - 1:05PM WAGGA RACING SUPPORTERS CLUB MAIDEN HANDICAP (1180 METRES)|
1. Romero was no match for Mix last start and there’s no shame in that but he was perhaps entitled to hold down second a little more comfortably. That said, this isn't a deep race.
Dangers: 9. Farage has had plenty of chances but finds another suitable race.
How to play it: Romero WIN ($1.65 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 3 - 1:45PM MARGARET KEENAN MEMORIAL 3YO MAIDEN HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
4. Pruscino is an I Am Invincible filly now with Joe Cleary having had three trials for Chris Waller. They don't read well on paper but she wasn't asked to do much. Suspect she had a lot more to offer. Worth the gamble.
Dangers: 10. She’s Super drops back from Hawkesbury where she was outclassed. Her second to Willy Wilson prior to that reads well for this. 1. My Boy Mo trialled well but the form from that heat hasn't been strong.
How to play it: Pruscino EACH WAY ($14 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 4 - 2:20PM SOUNDS OF THE MOUNTAINS CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
2. Sharpshooter has every chance at Nowra last start but that was a deeper Class 1 than this and the drop back slightly in trip to 1000m looks a positive. Won over the trip first up. Maps to box seat from the inside gate and only has to hold his form.
Dangers: 1. Ilovethegame is 1400m back to 1000m but he did run fourth in the Albury Guineas two runs back for Scott Spackman. The three-year-old has the class to overcome the distance query.
How to play it: Sharpshooter WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:00PM IRON JACK CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Statesville has just one win from his 11 starts but he has placed in five of those misses. The former Queenslander has his first start for James Ponsonby and it was hard to miss his Warwick Farm trial where he went to line with a Group One winner in Aegon.
Dangers: 4. Street Cred might need the run first up but his best would give this a shake. 10. Only A Dream wasn’t beaten far by Rent A Rock back in September and like that she kicks off over 1400m. Draws well too.
How to play it: Statesville WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 3:39PM RAY SILBURN CLASS 1 & MAIDEN PLATE (1800 METRES)|
The blinkers came off 2. Hot Bahama at Albury last start and the four-year-old didn’t give a yelp from in front, despite being heavily backed to jump $1.55. He is much better than that. The shades go back on and he sets up well to bounce back.
Dangers: 1. Deterge was 1200m out to the mile third up at Canberra last start and closed off well. Will give away a big start, however. Looks a standout for the quinella in a race with limited winning chances.
How to play it: Hot Bahama WIN ($1.75 TAB Fixed) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 4:17PM XXXX GOLD GUNDAGAI CUP (1800 METRES)|
6. Proven Class found the 1280m too short in the Muswellbrook Country Championships wild card qualifier but there was a lot to like about her work through the line. She jumps straight out to 1800m but should have enough residual fitness to cope.
Dangers: 1. Maid Of Ore is the class runner and you can forgive her latest effort on a day where you needed to be on speed.
How to play it: Proven Class WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 4:51PM TOOHEYS EXTRA DRY BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1180 METRES)|
6. Kurocaine was a dominant last start winner at Wagga with the five-year-old finding himself in a purple patch of form. Prior to that he wasn’t beaten far by Temoin Chaud. Maps well, is in career best form and finds another suitable race.
Dangers: This is the easiest race 1. Look Only has contested in while so be forgiving of her recent run of misses. Didn’t threaten first up at Canberra but that was a deeper race and she can only improve second up.
How to play it: Kurocaine WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT