By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Grafton on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:50PM WESTLAWN BUSINESS SERVICES 2YO MAIDEN PLATE (1015 METRES)|
7. Murungal ran third behind Peltzer and Anders two back at Kembla before running eighth in town behind Tommy Gold, a race that has provided four subsequent winners including Blossom Star, a filly that dropped back to country grade and bolted in.
Dangers: 8. Rise’n’shine has trialled exceptionally well and looks the biggest threat, albeit drawn awkwardly. 10. I Promise You looked to get a little lost in the run on debut but stuck to her task and gets the blinkers on.
How to play it: Murungal WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 1:25PM WESTLAWN BUSINESS LOANS MAIDEN PLATE (1620 METRES)|
8. Miss Clambake hit the line hard at Wagga two runs back before running third at Newcastle behind Clever Man. Albeit beaten a long way, the second horse has since run well again at the provincials. Well placed to break through.
Dangers: The form guide reads sixth for 7. Gerwig last start but she should have won at this same track three weeks ago. Has had plenty of chances but keeps improving. 5. Sethlans for the multiples.
How to play it: Miss Clambake WIN ($3 TAB Fixed Odds) and 8,7 QUINELLA Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:00PM WESTLAWN WEALTH MANAGEMENT GRAFTON GUINEAS PRELUDE 3YO BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (1420 METRES)|
Ex Godolphin galloper 1. Camp Rifle steps out for Tony Newing for the first time and looks well placed for connections to get an immediate return, on the back of an encouraging trial win at Gosford. The drier the better as he has struggled on wet tracks recently.
Dangers: 4. Hyperion Star has won two on the bounce and relished the 1400m second up, when rising from 1100m. This is harder again but hard to knock on recent form. 5. Toots Is Tops could improve sharply at odds.
How to play it: Camp Rifle WIN ($6 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 2:35PM WESTLAWN LIFE INSURANCE CLASS 3 HANDICAP (1115 METRES)|
The most open race on the card, as the market suggests. 1. Wander has 61kg and a wide draw but he is the class runner in the race. He split Black Magnum and Lashes at Warwick Farm first up last preparation and has trialled well this time back.
Dangers: Can make a case for 7. Maid Marilyn at double figure odds. Has been racing well without winning recently. 6. Akecheta was an all-the-way winner at Armidale last start beating 4. In Fiore.
How to play it: Wander WIN ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 5 - 3:10PM WESTLAWN INSURANCE BROKERS CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1215 METRES)|
2. Divine Approach will be out the back but there’s good speed in this and with any luck, she’ll be rocketing to the line. Didn’t look comfortable in heavy ground at Gosford last start but still wasn’t beaten far in a much stronger race than this.
Dangers: 6. Money Heist steps out for Jenny Graham for the first time (ex Gai Waterhouse) and liked what we saw from her in a Taree trial. Was competitive at provincial level in her first preparation and will make her own luck on speed.
How to play it: Divine Approach WIN ($5 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 6 - 3:45PM JOHN CARLTON CUP (1215 METRES)|
11. Defeat ran well in a very fast race at Warwick Farm last start on a heavy track. Prior to that he was again in another very slick race at Bathurst. Suspect he is going better than the form suggests and he fits in well here for Tracey Bartley.
Dangers: Expect Snitz to be scratched. Stablemate 2. Care To Think was only a pass mark first up but that was considerably harder than this. It’s coming up to D-Day for him now. 9. Nothingforthepress and 15. Vacate appeal for exotics.
How to play it: Defeat WIN Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 7 - 4:20PM WESTLAWN FINANCE GRAFTON CUP PRELUDE (2230 METRES)|
2. Penshurst was expected to win at this track last start when a short-priced favourite but he did it well and lines up in another suitable race. Matthew Dunn has the six-year-old ticking over nicely as he tracks towards the Grafton Cup.
Dangers: There is a sense of timing about 3. Allzin fourth up after making late ground over the mile last start. 10. Nemingah is still lightly-raced and has more upside than most here.
How to play it: Penshurst WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT