By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Dubbo on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:30PM JEFF PERRY MEMORIAL BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1620 METRES)|
2. Wild Rocket took until start number nine to crack her maiden but she trounced her rivals over this same track and trip, running faster time than The Sledgehammer. She backed that up by winning a Class 1 despite dropping back to 1400m. Well placed to go three straight.
Dangers: 1. Five Star Gal races well on her home deck and defied a late betting drift to win a leader dominated race at Gilgandra last start. Holding off 7. Vogue Empress, a mare that improved sharply once she got out to the mile.
How to play it: Wild Rocket WIN ($3 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 1:10PM DUBBO RSL CLUB RESORT MAIDEN HANDICAP (1420 METRES)|
Have been waiting for 9. Japingka to get out to 1400m and the four-year-old strikes a very winnable one at that. She just hasn’t had the turn of foot to put a race away over the sprint trips this preparation. No excuses now.
Dangers: 1. Dawn Strike was beaten a long way at Muswellbrook last start but he is lightly raced and has scope to improve over further. This is easier too.
How to play it: Japingka WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 3 - 1:50PM LIFE MEMBERS MAIDEN PLATE (1120 METRES)|
Willing to speculate on unraced four-year-old 2. Chevconi with Grant Buckley in the saddle. The gelding trialled well in tow back in 2019 before spending a year on the sidelines which saw him transferred to Gayna Williams. Liked his Dubbo trial since. Monitor betting.
Dangers: 1. Banju has bumped into two handy ones in his two seconds and won’t be a maiden for much longer. He’s the one with the runs on the board. 4. Alison Princess and 5. Great Excitement are in the mix.
How to play it: Chevconi WIN ($2.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 2:30PM JOHN MCKINNON MEMORIAL BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1120 METRES)|
Kody Nestor’s new recruit 1. Daredevil will be too classy for these if he brings his best. The ex-Snowden trained gelding was very much a work in progress early days but teased with glimpses of ability. Has 62kg but there’s only a handful of winning chances.
Dangers: 2. Costas last ran over 1600m but he has run well off similar freshens in the past, and over sprint trips too. Will be running on late. 7. Miss Hugo A Gogo didn’t have much luck from a wide draw last start.
How to play it: Daredevil WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:10PM MILESTONE HOTEL BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1120 METRES)|
3. Amy’s Shadow is five weeks between runs, which is some small query, but if she holds that form, she’s the horse to beat. Ran on behind Halcyon House last start while she bolted in prior to that to win her maiden. This looks an ideal trip.
Dangers: 4. Blue Tattoo has won two from 10 and both of those wins came first up. Has been 10 weeks since being tried at the mile. Liked his Muswellbrook trial since. 2. True Pride is the improver back from open company.
How to play it: Amy’s Shadow WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 3:46PM REEVE WHEELER MEMORIAL CUP SPRINT PRELUDE (1120 METRES)|
8. Toulon Brook got out to 1900m at the backend of last preparation but the heavy track will make this a test, which suits. Handles the wet and will be charging late. Kody Nestor has a strong hand in this race with all three on the Dubbo Cup path.
Dangers: It’s hard to split Nestor’s other runners 1. Fast Talking and 6. Sneak Preview. Fast Talking won well first up over the sprint trip last preparation. 7. Syd’s Footprints looks the leader in this but wants it drier.
How to play it: Toulon Brook WIN ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 7 - 4:21PM DUBBO CITY TOYOTA DUBBO CUP PRELUDE (1420 METRES)|
3. Westlink looked a touch disappointing last start when hard in the market but perhaps 1100m straight to 1400m found him out late. Should present at his top now third up and the six-year-old is always hard to beat on his home deck.
Dangers: 12. The Frick is racing out of his grade and is over a year between runs but don’t want to be too quick to discount him as his win before the layoff was enormous. Has been aggressively placed.
How to play it: Westlink WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 5:00PM CHILL-RITE DAIKIN CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1420 METRES)|
3. Shining Eagle started his new chapter with Kody Nestor with a bang here at Dubbo three weeks ago. The mare belted her rivals and she ran much quicker overall time than 1. From The Bush did at the same meeting. Can go right on with it now.
Dangers: 8. Stunning Mosa beat subsequent winner Dancing Dollar first up, charging home before working home well at Taree in a leader dominated race. Looks suited out to 1400m now.
How to play it: Shining Eagle WIN ($3 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT