By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Dubbo on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:05PM KINGS HALL JEWELLERS SHOWCASE MAIDEN HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
7. Happy Az has been much better than her starting price has suggested throughout her career and tipping that trend to continue. Wasn’t far of Potts Point two starts ago before finishing off well at Mudgee when not beaten far by 1. Council. Good roughie.
Dangers: Big watch on late betting with the ex-Queenslander 9. More Shots. Was knocking around in deeper maidens than this when trained by Tony Gollan. Can’t have 2. Powerwolf off his trials.
How to play it: Happy Az EACH WAY ($26 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 2 - 12:40PM AQUAWEST SHOWCASE CLASS 3 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
2. Buckle Up Baby was a dominant winner at Dubbo back in June and his runs since have been better than they read on paper. Two were in much better races than this while last start the Heavy 10 bogged him down. Will be steaming home.
Dangers: 1. Shame Warned has won two of this past three and will roll across to offset the wide draw. 3. Chambermaid split two handy ones at Taree last start while 5. Casino Kid gives the impression he’ll relish the mile.
How to play it: Buckle Up Baby EACH WAY ($10 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 1:20PM IRON JACK COUNTRY ONLY SHOWCASE MAIDEN PLATE (1000 METRES)|
8. Leave Me Be took late ground off Ice In Vancouver on debut at Scone with that horse since bolting in again, and locking in a Kosciuszko slot in the process. The third horse Bell Reve has since trounced his rivals at Moree too. No excuses from the prefect draw.
Dangers: 2. Dirado was backed on debut off a trial win over Spirinac back in June before running home okay into fourth. 6. Ranuncula closed well behind Unearthed on debut four weeks ago.
How to play it: Leave Me Be WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 4 - 1:55PM RAY WHITE RURAL DUBBO CLASS 1 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
8. Crackerjack Kenny hasn’t raced with much luck recently and thought he ticked the 1250m box last start having never won beyond 1000m in the past. He has only won one from 15 but he’s better than a Class 1 horse.
Dangers: 1. Saint Ambrose gave away an impossible start at Tuncurry last time out. Has been competitive at provincial class level in the past. 6. Livia’s Story is impossible to recommend off her trials but she ran third to Sweet Deal back in 2018.
How to play it: Crackerjack Kenny WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 2:30PM NSW RACING SHOWCASE PICNIC CHAMPIONSHIP (1400 METRES)|
The set weights conditions of this race play right into the hands of 8. Rogue Runner. Trainer Rodney Robb has won two of the three runnings of the Picnic Championships and his seven-year-old has returned as well as ever, winning at Mudgee last start. Should be winning.
Dangers: 6. Military Bay has to stretch his speed to 1400m but ran fourth in a deep race at Dubbo two back. 1. Another Plan looks the bets of the rest. Forgive last start as he’s much better on top of the ground.
How to play it: Rogue Runner WIN ($2 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 6 - 3:05PM DUBBO RSL CLUB RESORT BENCHMARK 58 SHOWCASE HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
The way 7. Spiranac has put her rivals away at her last two starts suggests she can keep winning. Travelled deep throughout at Taree last start but still gapped her rivals. Has tactical speed to sit handy and a sharp turn of foot.
Dangers: 11. Spilia wasn’t suited by a slow tempo and 1200m at his first outing for Brett Thompson. Would’ve preferred this to be 1400m but he’ll be closing hardest late. Along with 13. Santa Margherita having found winning form.
How to play it: Spiranac WIN ($2.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 3:45PM SOUTH LAKES CLASSIC COUNTRY MAGIC CLASS 2 SHOWCASE PLATE (1100 METRES)|
It’s been a busy preparation for 13. Skara Brae but he best would certainly give this a shake. Bolted in at Wellington and Scone before having excuses in three subsequent Highway runs, bombing the start in the latest. Will be motoring late.
Dangers: 4. Farmer’s Friend won in the manner of a smart horse at Tamworth seven weeks ago. Will need to produce something similar here from a sticky gate. 5. Free Rider is the other obvious threat. This is a very deep Class 2.
How to play it: Skara Brae EACH WAY ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 4:24PM DUBBO CITY TOYOTA GOLD CUP (1600 METRES)|
There’s plenty of class at the top end of this race, none more so than the top weight 1. White Boots though. Looks primed first up out the mile with three trials under his belt. The six-year-old is very good fresh and the claim of Dylan Gibbons sees him well in.
Dangers: 5. Zaunkonig was too bad to be true in the Coffs Harbour Cup last start. He warrants respect in a race like this having gone close in the Tamworth Cup back in April. 7. The Sledgehammer is a winning machine but this is harder again.
How to play it: White Boots WIN ($6 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 9 - 5:00PM JOHN NESTOR MEMORIAL SHOWCASE FLYING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
4. Syd’s Footprints has won five from nine on Good tracks, and that was the key to him bouncing back in a big way at Taree last start beating subsequent winner Fair Dinkum. The barrier is a little tricky with so much speed but he’s hard to beat with any luck.
Dangers: 13. Jailbreak needed the run first up last preparation but comes off two trials this time and a shorter break. There is a chance the leaders overcook it here opening it up for a closer like 5. Under The Thumb.
How to play it: Syd’s Footprints WIN ($7.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT