By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Cowra.
|Race 1 - 1:05PM JAMIESONS JOINERY & BUILDING CENTRE 3YO PLATE (1100 METRES)|
1. Mandalong Roman has been slugged with 63.5kg which can make you a touch nervous about taking a very short quote but this race has a long tail. Has won two of his past three and the defeat was in a deep race at Canterbury.
Dangers: 3. Alpha Go has been freshened after a disappointing effort at Newcastle last time out. Hi maiden win at Grafton back in September was arrogant and liked his tickover trial since we last saw him.
How to play it: Mandalong Roman WIN ($1.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 2 - 1:40PM AUSTRALIAN HOTEL MAIDEN PLATE (1375 METRES)|
Claire Lever finds a very winnable maiden for 6. Choosday Nights to resume in here. The mare gave a sight at Narromine the last time we saw her, has trialled well and will be a long way in front on her main danger in the run.
Dangers: That main threat is no doubt 7. Grey Mantra on the back of an exceptional trial, albeit on the synthetic surface. Improved sharply when she got out to this trip last preparation so it’s no surprise she resumes over 1375m this time back.
How to play it: Choosday Nights WIN ($3.70 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:15PM RAILWAY HOTEL MAIDEN HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
13. Maggie’s Time is a 34 start maiden but she’s been right around the mark recently and liked the way she ran through the line last Monday at Wellington. Out to 1200m looks perfect now. There’s only a handful of winning hopes and she is one of them.
Dangers: 2. The Burning may just have too much upside and blow these away but he has been priced extremely aggressively. The jockey had to take hold late on debut. 5. Shiny Agent looks to be the best of the rest.
How to play it: Maggie’s Time EACH WAY ($12 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 2:50PM DR GEOFFREY SPRIGGE MEMORIAL BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (950 METRES)|
5. Peloso Lass mightn’t get the market respect she deserves here. The six-year-old stepped out for the first time for Brett Robb at Gilgandra a fortnight ago and beat home 2. French Giggle. Should get the last crack given the speed up front in this.
Dangers: French Giggle is very fast but so are many others in this. 1. Revolver is rarely far away over this trip (16:3-1-5) and has the speed to hold a spot from a good draw. Be forgiving of last start where he jumped awkwardly.
How to play it: Peloso Lass EACH WAY ($12 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:25PM COWRA BOWLING CLUB CLASS 3 HANDICAP (1375 METRES)|
Taking a punt on former city-trained mare 1. Renalot having her first start for Roy McCabe. Wasn’t asked to do much in an Orange barrier trial and resuming over 1375m suggests she is ready to rock and roll first up.
Dangers: 5. Old Harbour gives the impression he’ll eat up this extra trip. Flooded home to run second at Wagga last start. 2. Camp Rifle ran well at Ipswich last start in a BM58 which should measure up here.
How to play it: Renalot EACH WAY ($11 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 6 - 4:00PM BREAKOUT RIVER MEATS COWRA JAPAN CUP (1200 METRES)|
2. Up Trumpz sets up beautifully for this third up out to 1200m, which is his best trip (14:2-2-3). Had no luck over 1000m first up before savaging the line at Canterbury five weeks ago behind Malkovich. Should be plenty of speed on for him. Drawn perfectly. Yes.
Dangers: 8. Tessera won his first two starts before being winless for a very long time. The drought was finally broken at Kembla last start and he might go on with it now. 3. I Am Capitan is too honest to discount.
How to play it: Up Trumpz WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS
|Race 7 - 4:40PM COWRA LAMB COWRA CUP (1700 METRES)|
Michael Mulholland sure knows how to win a country cup and last start Gilgandra Cup winner 4. Universal Thief sets up well to turn the tables on 1. Upper House over a touch further and with a swing at the weights.
Dangers: Upper House was a strong winner over the mile last start but can he stretch it to 1700m? Suspect it might see him out. 6. National Guard’s best would blow these away but the import didn’t do much in his first Australian preparation.
How to play it: Universal Thunder EACH WAY ($8 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 5:20PM WINKLE I DID IT MY WAY DRAPER BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Kathaire last ran in the Belle Of The South at Nowra, while she was a strong winner first up prior to that. She races well fresh and does her best work on top of the ground. If she can slot in midfield, look out late.
Dangers: 3. Nicola has drawn wide but does have the early speed to overcome that and only has to repeat her dominant last start win. 4. Sticks ‘N’ Stones and 5. Wicked Willy also have strong claims.
How to play it: Kathaire WIN ($3.40 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS