By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Coffs Harbour on Sunday.
|Race 1 - 12:55PM ANY ENTERTAINMENT BLINKAN MISSIT PRELUDE (810 METRES)|
1. All Stand will need to lump the Coffs Harbour grandstand to defend his title in this race having won it so impressively last year but he rates a long way in front of his rivals. Carries 65.5kg after the claim and he’ll camp in behind again and gets the last crack.
Dangers: 5. San Marco won’t be able to match it early with these but could motor home over the top while the class of 2. Another Sin also has to be respected. It’s a 55kg minimum so those down the bottom aren’t well treated at the weights.
How to play it: All Stand WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 2 - 1:30PM SAWTELL GOLF CLUB MAIDEN HANDICAP (1012 METRES)|
1. Belle Reve looked good in his Grafton trial win pairing off with Swanston, a two-year-old that went on to win his first start at Ballina. It’s always a leap of faith backing a first starter against raced horses but doesn’t strike a deep maiden to kick off his career.
Dangers: Ex Mark Newnham trained 5. Tears Are Falling has her first start for local trainer Warren Gavenlock. The draw means she’ll be giving away a big start but has showen glimpses of ability in the past that’d definitely give this race a shake.
How to play it: Belle Reve WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 3 - 2:05PM COFFS COAST HEALTH CLUB CLASS 1 HANDICAP (1012 METRES)|
2. Venusian is a sharp improver second up having run on well from last at Grafton. Will settle much closer here and with plenty of rain forecast, was a dominant heavy track winner at this track last preparation.
Dangers: Big watch on 1. Could You Be Loved. Had a very quiet trial for her new yard but has the talent. Monitor betting as has been a year on the sidelines. 4. Sylvia’s Memory looks suited back in trip while 5. Charmmebaby had no luck last start.
How to play it: Venusian WIN ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 2:40PM LE DAIN DESIGNS MAIDEN PLATE (1415 METRES)|
5. Highbury produced a cracking first run for his new yard at Grafton two weeks ago. The three-year-old savaged the line over 1200m, a trip short of his best. Steps out to a more suitable journey here and ran second at Gosford to First Footman on a heavy track three runs ago.
Dangers: 1. Amore Moderno has a task at turning the tables on Highbury but showed plenty of fight to hold down third. Handled a heavy track tow back. 12. Zavvys Hope should be kept safe off her form last preparation.
How to play it: Highbury WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 5 - 3:15PM OFF THE TRACK NSW CLASS 3 HANDICAP (1415 METRES)|
3. Thiswilldous comes back to country grade having just missed at the provincials last start. That was on a heavy track too. Drops back in trip but a testing track could see that as an advantage. This race has a long tail and he looks a key player.
Dangers: Jockey Brooke Stower has given 1. Liberty Head two absolute peaches to get him home in his last two starts. Jumps now to Class 3 company and has 61kg but he is flying. Include the well bred 6. Pierino in wider multiples.
How to play it: Thiswilldous WIN ($3.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 6 - 3:50PM SAWTELL RSL SAWTELL CUP (1515 METRES)|
12. Real Gent steps into an Open Handicap having won a BM58 last start but the Grafton-trained five-year-old is hard fit, loves wet ground and makes his own luck on speed. The wetter the better for the import boasting four wins from five starts on heavy decks.
Dangers: 11. In Ya Skyrocket was found out at provincial level last start but won three of four prior to that. Handles the wet and can bounce back. 3. All But Gone gives away big starts but is always a knockout hope.
How to play it: Real Gent EACH WAY ($14 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 7 - 4:25PM SAWTELL HOTEL DANIEL BAKER PRELUDE (1215 METRES)|
2. Beacon is racing well at the moment for Peter Sinclair. Burnt too much petrol in the early stages last start at Moree and that told at the finish. His second to Kookabaa prior to that is certainly a strong reference for this. Handles heavy tracks so no worries there.
Dangers: Not sure 1. Up Trumpz is completely at home on wet tracks but he is the class runner. This is the easiest race he has contested this preparation. 8. Oneness has been jumping around in distances but holding his form well.
How to play it: Beacon WIN ($6.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT