By Brad Gray
Tips and race by race preview by Brad Gray for Friday’s Albury Cup showcase meeting.
|Race 1 - 1:15PM TWIN CITY TRUCK CENTRE SHOWCASE MAIDEN PLATE (1175 METRES)|
4. Mix has placed three times at provincial level and drops back to country company for the first time in his career. Was just touched off by Canadian Spice first up at Kembla Grange two weeks ago. Brad Widdup looks to have placed him to get a confidence-boosting win on the board.
Dangers: 3. Albert The Cat couldn’t keep up early over 1000m on debut but liked the way he speared through late the run fifth. Out in trip suits and he should find the tempo here more to his liking. Can only improve.
How to play it: Mix WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 2 - 1:50PM CARLTON DRAUGHT SHOWCASE CLASS 2 HANDICAP (1000 METRES)|
8. Nicci’s Song was beaten on her merits last start at the Sapphire Coast as an odds on favourite but gets some weight relief from that and there was a lot to like about the way she won first up at Wagga beating 5. Big Day Out.
Dangers: 1. Theresabearinthere is the class runner and peaked on his run first up after leading. Strips fitter second up. His stablemate 3. Seventh Seal appeals as the best roughie if you can forget his latest poor run.
How to play it: Nicci’s Song WIN ($2.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 3 - 2:25PM ADRIAN LEDGER MEMORIAL SHOWCASE - BENCHMARK 66 HANDICAP (2400 METRES)|
1. Prince Camelot is deep into his preparation so presents a very fit horse and all six of his starts have been at provincial level. He got shuffled back at Gosford at his latest start before hitting the line hard over 2600m.
Dangers: 2. Sinamay only has to hold her Melbourne form to be in the finish again. Was in the money at Moonee Valley two back in BM70 company and her advantage over Prince Camelot is where she’ll settle in the run.
How to play it: Prince Camelot WIN ($8.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 4 - 3:05PM DLG ALUMINIUM & GLAZING SHOWCASE BENCHMARK 58 HANDICAP (1175 METRES)|
2. Dissedge was a touch unlucky not to win at Wagga last start when held up momentarily in the straight. She won over this track and trip back in December and maps to get her chance to win again on her home track.
Dangers: 15. Miss Venezuela broke her maiden in emphatic fashion last start. The time wasn’t anything amazing but she’s well placed to work through the grades.
How to play it: Dissedge EACH WAY ($9 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 5 - 3:40PM JAYCO ALBURY - ALBURY GUINEAS - BENCHMARK 70 HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
1. Easy Campese didn’t beat a runner home last start but it was in the G2 Hobartville Stakes! There’s a little query as to how well he has returned this preparation but if he finds his best from last campaign, he’d win this. Blinkers go on for the first time.
Dangers: There is no such query with the flying 4. Impressive Lass as she finds herself in career-best form chasing three straight wins. Relished the 1400m trip last start to win by a space.
How to play it: Easy Campese WIN ($5.50 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 6 - 4:15PM NAUGHTIN DEVELOPMENT GROUP SHOWCASE FLAT KNACKER (900 METRES)|
5. Cardiff should find the front from barrier 2 and he looks very hard to peg back over 900m. The speedster has found a new home with Kody Nestor, winning first up at Canterbury with sustained speed over 1100m before running fourth second up again in town.
Dangers: 13. Just A Flash is unlikely to cross Cardiff but he’ll put himself on speed and he is a 900m specialist (7:3-2-2). 7. Bombdiggity will park in behind the speed and could have last say.
How to play it: Cardiff WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: ODDS
|Race 7 - 4:50PM COMMERCIAL CLUB ALBURY GOLD CUP [LISTED RACE] (2000 METRES)|
9. Kiss The Bride found his form again at Rosehill last start and he plummets down in the weights having lumped in excess of 60kg at three of his last five starts. The dry track suits and he maps to get the run of the race.
Dangers: 1. Hush Writer gets a pass mark for his first up effort at Canberra but it was a soft track. He loves it dry and ran second to Mugatoo second up last campaign. 6. Entente was a third up winner last preparation and is trending the same way.
How to play it: Kiss The Bride EACH WAY ($8 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: SPLIT
|Race 8 - 5:30PM LEXUS OF WODONGA COUNTRY MAGIC CLASS 3 HANDICAP (1500 METRES)|
2. Call Me Artie draws off the track so he’ll give away a start but there’s enough in the early price to warrant taking the gamble. Love the way he swept to victory at Cowra last start over the mile. Just needs the race run to suit up front.
Dangers: 6. Swagger is in a similar boat coming off an impressive win but with a wide draw to overcome. Hard to knock his credentials otherwise. 10. Django Dream is chasing three straight for James Ponsonby.
How to play it: Call Me Artie EACH WAY ($11 TAB Fixed Odds) Odds & Evens: EVENS