A transfer of ownership occurs when a change of ownership is made to a registered racehorse who will continue to race (i.e. not retired from racing). For example, a transfer of ownership form must be completed if:
- The horse has been sold (privately or through public auction)
- One or more owners are added/removed from the ownership
A transfer of ownership does NOT need to be completed if:
- All owners remain exactly the same, but the percentage share is altered (complete Change of Owner Share Percentage form)
- The horse has retired from racing and will never be returning to the racetrack
- The horse has not yet been named (registered with the Registrar of Racehorses)
Please make sure that all current leases are cancelled with the relevant PRA (e.g. Racing NSW) prior to completing a transfer of ownership.
The Rules of Racing make it compulsory for all transfers of ownership to be recorded in respect of registered racehorses. The following conditions apply when completing a transfer of ownership:
- A transfer of ownership is not official until approved by the Registrar of Racehorses or Deputy Registrar of the Principal Racing Authority in whose area the horse is to race.
- The completed transfer of ownership form should be lodged with the Principal Racing Authority together with the relevant fee. The fee for a transfer in New South Wales is $110.00. Principal Racing Authorities in other states should be contacted regarding the current fee.
- The first named person appearing in the new ownership section shall be recorded as the racing manager and all correspondence shall be sent to that person unless otherwise stated.
- All outgoing owners are required to sign the transfer of ownership, OR an auctioneer acts as an agent of the owners and has the authority to sign the contract of sale (See Approved Auctioneers below). The transfer form documents the sale. As such, the auctioneer has the authority to sign the transfer form
- Except in the case of an auctioneer signing this form, if any transfer is being signed under Power of Attorney or Letter of Authority, a copy of such authority must be provided when lodging the transfer
- If no one is leaving the ownership, just altering the percentages, the new details need to be completed on the Change of Owner Share Percentage form
- The Document of Description/Thoroughbred Identification Card is not required to be sent in for a Transfer of Ownership.
- When the transfer of ownership is completed a Transfer Endorsement Certificate will be returned to the manager or a nominated person.
- The trainer should lodge a Stable Return in the names of the new owners.
- Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (PPSA) 25/01/12
Download the National Transfer Of A Racehorse form from the Racing Australia Website.
Racing NSW – Transfers
Level 7, 51 Druitt St
Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9551 7500
Fax: (02) 9551 7587
Auctioneers approved to sign transfers of ownership when lodged with Racing NSW.
William Inglis and Son Ltd
P.O. Box 388,
Moorebank, NSW 1875
Ph: (02) 9399 7999
P.O. Box 5246,
Gold Coast Mail Centre, Qld 9726
Ph: (07) 5504 1200
Peter Milling & Co.
105-107 Macquarie St,
Dubbo NSW 2830
Ph: (02) 6882 3544
Thoroughbred Breeders Tasmania Inc.
P.O. Box 1596,
Launceston, TAS 7250
Ph: (03) 6393 7070
McCaffrey's Australian Livestock Marketing
181 East Street
Rockhampton Qld 4700
(07) 4922 6311
PO Box 37,
Windsor, NSW 2756
Ph: 1300 849 349