Next NSW Race

Latest News

Quinton's Classy Mare In Full Blossom

By Ray Hickson

A different approach to Dixie Blossom’s autumn campaign is what trainer Ron Quinton hopes can finally realise a Group 1 win for his classy mare.

Quinton suspects we haven’t seen the five-year-old at the peak of her powers yet and that’s an ominous sign for her rivals in the Group 2 $200,000 Guy Walter Stakes (1400m) at Royal Randwick on Saturday.

He produced his other top shelf mare Daysee Doom to win the Millie Fox Stakes first-up last weekend but has an air of confidence when it comes to Dixie.

“I think she might even be a little bit better than she was. Without being too cheeky about it,’’ Quinton said.

“She’s coming along really well, we couldn’t be happier with her in any shape or form.’’

Dixie Blossoms has two Group 1 placings against her name, and has been unlucky in the last two editions of the Myer Classic in Melbourne, and Quinton wants her ready for the Coolmore Classic (1500m) on March 17.


Dixie Blossoms accounts for Russian Revolution in a trial at Randwick on February 12

With that in mind he ordered a rousing second barrier trial and she downed the recently retired Oakleigh Plate winner Russian Revolution.

“The last trial was a really good solid trial. I said to Corey (Brown) that I wanted to treat the trial as a first-up run not just a trial,’’ Quinton said.

“I wanted to give them a little bit of space after Melbourne and that’s why I was a little late getting her going.

“She races so well at Randwick so I thought we would target this first-up. She’ll end up going into the Coolmore second-up and that won’t worry because she’s had the two trials and the race.

“Our ultimate aim is to try and win a major with both her and Daysee Doom.’’

Dixie Blossoms won the Guy Walter Stakes by 6-1/2 lengths last year, second-up on a heavy track, and is striving to be the third mare, following Hot Danish (2008-9) and Steps In Time (2012-13), to defend her title. She opened $4 favourite with TAB on Wednesday.

Quinton is sending Boss Lane around from a soft barrier in the Group 3 $150,000 Liverpool City Cup (1300m) and is happy enough for the gelding to be overlooked again.

The honest seven-year-old ran third in the tight finish to the Southern Cross Stakes two weeks ago and showed he’s in good touch running 34.47 (Punters Intel), the third fastest last 600m of the race.

“He’s run quite well and he was a tad unlucky the other day,’’ Quinton said.

“I’m looking forward to giving him his chance. He will be able to travel sweetly, he’s drawn well, in a race like that.’’

Andrew Adkins, who is off to Macau to ride in his first international Group 1 race on Sunday, rides Boss Lane for the 11th time on Saturday and has three wins under his belt on the evergreen sprinter.

Check out all the fields, form and replays for Saturday's Royal Randwick meeting

The Latest Racing News

Braith Nock's Claim Reduced After 50th Winner

Apprentice jockey Braith Nock rode his 50th metropolitan winner at Rosehill Gardens today. As a consequence, effective from Wednesday, 3 ...
Read More

Kembla Now Abandoned - Upcoming Meetings Nominations

Today's postponed Kembla Grange race meeting has now been officially abandoned. Racing NSW reminds trainers/connections of accepted horses from today's ...
Read More

Ryan-Alexiou Stable Expects Successful Day At Newcastle (Sunday)

By John Schell The Rosehill training combination of Gerald Ryan and Sterling Alexiou have strong representation at Newcastle on Sunday ...
Read More

John Schell's Selections For Newcastle Races (Sunday)

By John Schell The track is rated a Good 4 with the rail out 11m the entire circumference. The forecast ...
Read More

Glen Milligan's Full Of Confidence For His Taree Duo (Monday)

By Greg Prichard Local trainer Glen Milligan will only have two runners at the Taree race meeting on Monday, but ...
Read More
Loading...
Racing NSW Apps
View
Mobile Version
Contact
Forms
Information
Industry Links