By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Wednesday’s meeting at Warwick Farm. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 1:25PM PRESS STATEMENT @ VINERY HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
3. Contango has performed well in contrasting trials and he could have easily won the latest at Rosehill if let go at all. Well found in a race with a few question marks but if he runs up to what he’s shown in practice he’ll go close.
Dangers: 7. Luvoir started big odds in a small field on debut but attacked the line strongly to run third at 1100m. Extra ground will be a big plus as would a solid tempo. Promising first appearance and bears close watching here. 1. Hulk has been gelded since his two runs in May for Chris Waller. Thought his trial was only fair but he has a nice gate and Hugh Bowman to ride so if he’s going to produce he has every chance. Priced on reputation not performance to date. 6. Lewis is a blue blood on debut and he wasn't bad late in his 900m trial last month. The 1300m here suits him much better and expect he'll be hitting the line.
How to play it: Contango WIN ($2.90 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Contango runs a close second in a Rosehill trial on August 6
|Race 2 - 2:00PM WINTER RACING HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
9. Oribella will need some favours in the run but she’s a good each-way chance on the back of beating Captain Stardust over a mile at Gosford third-up. That form is solid and she’s proven at the trip. If they can run on she’s hard to hold out.
Dangers: 2. Achondrite was scratched from Gosford Wednesday for this and it seems she has every chance to win this. Solid return here a month ago, drawn pone and only win to date was at a mile. 7. Way Back When was a drifter on debut over 1300m here two weeks ago but still attacked the line nicely and will lap up the rise in distance. Plenty of upside for him and if it’s not a prep too soon he’ll win a race shortly. 3. Almerheri is fitter for two runs back from a spell and she held her ground in a struggle down the straight here behind Helga two weeks ago. Her best is good enough to feature.
How to play it: Oribella E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds); Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Oribella wins at Gosford on July 27
|Race 3 – 2.35PM ANZ BLOODSTOCK NEWS HANDICAP (2200 METRES)|
5. Keep Up has put two good runs together since he’s found some dry tracks and he did a good job to run fourth from well back in a similar race two weeks ago. He was the only horse to break 35 seconds for the last 600m (34.86 Punter's Intelligence). Similar opposition as well and if things pan out his way this time he’s right in the finish.
Dangers: 9. Anarchy is a similar case to Keep Up, she’s finished just behind him in her last two and they have been improved efforts on firmer tracks. At peak now and no excuses for her. 3. Waka won the race in question two weeks back as an easing favourite. She had everything her way there but drawn wide this time so may have to work harder. If that’s the case this race is wide open. But she’s impossible to leave out. 1. High Power comes from Saturday formlines and he did his usual thing and ran on into a place behind Our Candidate at Rosehill last time. Dry track stats are good and he’s an each-way hope again.
How to play it: Keep Up E/W ($9.50 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Keep Up runs fourth to Waka at Warwick Farm on July 31
|Race 4 – 3.10PM TAB HANDICAP (1400 METRES)|
6. Lifetime Quest is short enough in betting but he’s the one to beat despite not winning in three runs back. Tried hard here two back then led at Randwick on a heavy and kept fighting behind Misteed and True Detective. D-Day for him.
Dangers: 1. Cuba will keep the favourite honest and he also went down fighting last start nailed late by Nicochet over this course. Second-up form is patchy but has gate one and the claim again. Looks a decent threat. 3. Obelos was well in the market at his Australian debut in March on a heavy track and failed then on a soft 5 he was narrowly denied at Kensington. Trial leading in was okay behind Kiamichi and 1400m suits him fresh. Has a case. 9. Perfect Pitch is one from 18 but a repeat of her closing second behind Helga over this course two weeks ago should see her somewhere in the finish.
How to play it: Lifetime Quest WIN ($2.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Lifetime Quest runs third at Randwick on August 3
|Race 5 – 3.45PM STREET BOSS @ DARLEY HANDICAP (1200 METRES)|
1. Bennelong Dancer is the best performed horse in the race clearly and isn’t badly in with 57kg after the apprentice claim for a jockey who is her regular rider. Smashed them fresh in her Championships heat then solid in the Final to Noble Boy. Drawn well and hard to see her not featuring. Read jockey Blaike McDougall's comments here.
Dangers: 5. Herzegovina is the horse on the way up and he’s really taken to being gelded with easy wins at Dubbo, Muswellbrook and Gosford. Third horse from Gosford was city placed after that run. Logical danger. 3. Juventus didn’t win last preparation but wasn’t far off the mark behind some handy types like You Make Me Smile and Archedemus. Two trials back have been pass marks and he’s right in this if he can find his best. 6. Bel Diablo led all the way for a nice win at Canterbury three weeks ago, it may be have been aided by an on pace pattern but what you know about him is he’ll get up there on the pace and give good sight.
How to play it: Bennelong Dancer WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: ODDS.
Bennelong Dancer wins an Albury trial on July 30
|Race 6 – 4.20PM EVEREST CARNIVAL HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Knowitall Jack had to work hard for his win at Canterbury last start and while leaders did well that day he fought off the challengers bravely. Up in weight but same class, will be somewhere on the speed and if he’s as promising as he appears he’ll run well again.
Dangers: 8. Seel The Deel had support in a stronger race over this trip two weeks ago but didn’t fire. Prepared to overlook that as he was attacking the line strongly to win his previous two starts and this race might set up better for him. 7. Da Power is the horse on the up and he put them away easily at Muswellbrook on August 4 under a big weight. His form would be akin to Highway form at the moment and whether that’s good enough remains to be seen, but he’s found Bowman to ride. Include. 12. Song And A Prayer is racing consistently and stayed on after leading to run third in a tight finish. Up to a mile but is an each-way chance.
How to play it: Knowitall Jack WIN ($2.80 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Knowitall Jack wins at Canterbury on July 24
|Race 7 - 4:55PM AUSTRALIAN TURF CLUB HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
9. Ballistica has found a very winnable race first-up on the back of two very good trial performances. Her first-up form is misleading as her last couple have been on wet tracks and on debut she was thrown in the deep end. Drawn nicely, if she doesn’t get too far back she can give them something to worry about late.
Dangers: 6. Intrepidacious has promised to be above average and she finally found a good track at Hawkesbury third-up and duly saluted. Comes in well with the claim and no surprise to see her figure prominently. 1. Spanish Dream resumes with a big weight but the race has fallen away a bit and her task is a lesser one than it appeared. Top three in all five runs last prep and has to be considered. 5. Transmitter is racing well without winning in similar events and would only have to hold her form to be among the placings again.
How to play it: Ballistica WIN ($3.10 TAB Fixed Odds). Odds & Evens: SPLIT.
Ballistica runs second in a Gosford trial on August 5