By Ray Hickson
Tips and race by race preview by Ray Hickson for Tuesday’s meeting at Hawkesbury. Selections based on a good track.
|Race 1 – 12:50PM TAB.COM.AU PLATE (1350 METRES)|
8. Pinup Miss picks herself and will start a very short priced favourite. Eye-catcher on debut behind Fasika then tried hard behind another promising one at Randwick two weeks ago. Should be too good for them.
Dangers: 7. Lady Lucienne should be a big improver on a shock failure at Wyong last start. Previous efforts were sound on good and wet tracks and she can take up a forward position. No surprise to see her in the placings. 2. Brilliance Squared hit the line strongly late in the same race as Pinup Miss and has some upside. Whether she can make up some four lengths on her here is questionable but the mile will suit. 6. Charged Flame seemed to have her chance at Wyong on a heavy track second-up and is probably a place hope though a firmer track will be in her favour.
How to play it: Trifecta 8/2,6,7/2,6,7.
Pinup Miss runs second at Randwick on April 3
|Race 2 - 1:25PM SKY RACING HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
6. Madam Oaks has a run under her belt and that might come in handy. Chased strongly when runner-up at Gosford first-up and the barrier isn’t such a concern for her. If she’s improved a length or so on that fresh run she can go close.
Dangers: 5. Gorgons is very short for a horse not seen since October 2017 and one that has had a number of trials but no races in that time. Two recent trials have been good and she could win without surprising but can’t take odds-on to find out. 1. Go Fish Go showed speed and was run down late in his second trial at Warwick Farm a few weeks back. Drawn well and could give a sight. 7. Invinciano is a big watch first-up, was in the market at her only start and didn’t get into it at all. Fitter for two trials, drawn better and could surprise. If there’s a roughie worth thought it’s 9. Light Charge who won the trial over Gorgons and wasn’t too far away at her last two starts before a break.
How to play it: Madam Oaks WIN ($4.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Madam Oaks runs second at Gosford on April 4
|Race 3 – 2.05PM LANDER TOYOTA HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Single Blonde is hard to tip against on form. Close third to Tenley on debut then Listed placed in Brisbane in the summer. Trialling well, she’ll go forward and unless there’s a very smart one in the first starters she can break through.
Dangers: 3. Daredevil showed improvement into his second trial at Randwick closing off well and is worth keeping safe. $290,000 purchase and any support should be respected. 9. Sally’s Day started favourite at Rosehill first-up at the end of February and disappointed after sitting outside the leader. She knows how to win trials, with another under her belt since and she could produce this time. 4. Saint Ambrose had a nice quiet trial at Rosehill last week, just striding along in behind them. He’s taken a bit of time to make it to the races but a good track suits and he might be one at odds to consider.
How to play it: Single Blonde WIN ($1.90 TAB Fixed Odds).
Single Blonde wins a trial at Warwick Farm on April 1
|Race 4 – 2.40PM HAWKESBURY GAZETTE HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Diamond Thunder gave a decent sight at his only start on Boxing Day behind Pin Sec and returns as a gelding. He’s won two trials in very nice fashion, drawn well and he should take some beating first-up and back in class.
Dangers: 8. Brazenpine didn’t appear to relish the wet track when the pressure went on at her only start back in November. Plenty to like about his trials since then and while drawn out he’ll likely go forward. Definite chance. 4. Shielded is a Godolphin two-year-old so deserves respect on that score alone. Trialling okay without being sensational and is one of the chances. 3. Rammstein led them up in a strong maiden on debut at Randwick and finished midfield beaten four lengths. Less depth here and he's a likely improver.
How to play it: Diamond Thunder WIN ($2.30 TAB Fixed Odds).
Diamond Thunder wins a trial at Randwick on March 29
|Race 5 – 3.15PM POLYTRACK HANDICAP (1100 METRES)|
1. Valeria is a good each-way chance fresh since running fourth at Randwick in February. Given a decent hitout to win a Wyong trial by a big space and with some speed on she might get the last crack at them down the outside.
Dangers: 5. Chilled Rose missed a place in a strong form race then cruised home at this track on March 28, sitting on speed all the way. She’ll again be handy and should be in the finish somewhere. 2. Great Affair shows promise and rode the pace before holding off Madam Oaks (who runs earlier) at Gosford at his second start. Drawn to be right there again and has upside. 9. Lagarde finally cracked it for a win leading most of the way at Orange a few weeks back. She has mixed it with handy company and been placed prior, honest and can't leave out.
How to play it: Valeria E/W ($9.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Valeria easily wins a trial at Gosford on March 26
|Race 6 - 3:50PM ROBERT OATLEY WINES HANDICAP (1300 METRES)|
9. Musume looks a nice filly going forward and while she’s first-up with no trial since her maiden win she has more upside than most. Form through her last run here is strong, she will likely lead from the wide gate and if she gets control can take running down. Read trainer Louise Dean's comments here.
Dangers: 6. Kosciusko beat Chilled Rose on debut then led on a heavy track and knocked up late when placed at Gosford back in February. Kept fresh and trialled in a strong heat recently. Definite chance. 7. Sacred Edge is probably not a winning chance first-up but he does usually run well fresh and a placing is within his reach. Fitter for two trials including an easy win in the latest and the trip fresh suits. Each-way. 8. Leardo won at his second start on a heavy track then took on a couple of more progressive types before a spell. Latest trial he held his ground behind Plague Stone and he could easily be in the finish fresh. Keep an eye on betting.
How to play it: Musume WIN ($3.60 TAB Fixed Odds).
Musume wins at Kembla Grange on January 3
|Race 7 - 4:25PM LIVAMOL MILE HANDICAP (1600 METRES)|
1. Nacho Libre ran a very nice race fresh at Randwick beaten a couple of lengths and drops sharply in class into this. The mile suits, a dry track is what he wants and expect he’ll settle closer to the pace. If he’s not one run short he’ll be very hard to beat.
Dangers: 3. Onthetake was a bit too good in a Class 1 here two starts back then seemed to have every chance at Gosford in similar company to this. Dry track might assist and he’s in the mix. 2. Carluca finished on strongly from well back over 1500m here last time and was placed at a mile, though safely held, prior. Will be around the speed you’d think from the wide gate and has to be given another chance. 6. Think It Over is the horse on the way up after a strong finishing maiden win at Goulburn fresh. Shapes as though the distance will be right up his alley and he could measure up. If there’s an upset, 4. Speed Hero back in class is most likely.
How to play it: Nacho Libre E/W ($4.80 TAB Fixed Odds).
Nacho Libre’s first-up effort at Randwick on April 3
|Race 8 - 5:05PM STAND ALONE SATURDAY APRIL 27 HANDICAP (1900 METRES)|
4. Belfast Bella is close to win now after an excellent second-up effort in a Highway then a fast finishing second at Canberra. Up in distance and down in weight, she’ll likely drift back but look for her charging home in a winnable race.
Dangers: 1. China Gale chased Amangiri home here two starts back then every possible chance when an odds-on favourite and he could only manage fifth in a six horse field. Blinkers back on so he could lift. 2. Matakanui led all the way three starts ago at Gosford and has been thereabouts in two starts since. Seems to act on wet or dry and if he’s in the right mood then he can be in the finish. 5. Cool One dropped 700m into the Wellington Cup last time out and wasn’t disgraced finishing midfield after running on from last. Extra 200m a plus and she’s generally an on pacer so if she’s more prominent here she could show up.
How to play it: Belfast Bella E/W ($5.00 TAB Fixed Odds).
Belfast Bella runs a closing second at Canberra on March 23