A field of 25 will do battle on Day 1 of The Championships this Saturday to determine the winner of the prestigious 2018 TAB Champion Tipster and in the process, raise money for charity.
Oaks winner Bonneval (Hugh Bowman) was one of Nick Davis's winning selections last year
Tipsters select a horse in each of the dozen The Championships races over the next two Saturdays at Royal Randwick.
A hypothetical $10 each-way bet will go on each of the 25 selections of the tipsters.
The tipster with the largest balance at the completion of The Championships on Saturday 14 April will be crowned this year’s TAB Champion Tipster, with TAB kindly donating $5000 to the winner’s charity of choice.
Former top Sydney Swan player Nick Davis will be out to retain the title he won last year after returning $677 with winners including Free Standing ($31), Chautauqua ($5.50) and Bonneval ($4.20).
This year’s tipsters and their charities are:
- Andrew Bensley (Sky Sports Radio), Men’s Prostate Cancer
- Michelle Bishop (Channel 7), National Jockeys Trust
- Tony Brassel (Sky Thoroughbred Central), Médecins Sans Frontières
- Rob Burnet (Thoroughbred News.com.au), National Jockeys Trust
- Jason Clout (Australian Financial Review), OzHarvest
- Gary Crispe (Racing & Sports.com.au), Cancer Council
- Brad Davidson (Sky Racing), Mission Australia-NSW
- Nick Davis (Sydney Swans), YNOT Help Foundation
- Ron Dufficy (Sky Sports Radio), Motor Neurone Disease of NSW
- Paul Joice (Sky Racing), Red Cross
- Matt Malone (Wagga Advertiser), Good Talk (Bipolar Disorder)
- Glenn Munsie (TAB), National Jockeys Trust
- Clinton Payne (Racenet), Starlight Foundation
- Adam Pengilly (Sydney Morning Herald), Dementia Australia
- Ryan Phelan (Channel 7), Cansurvive Research Association
- Max Presnell (Fairfax Media), Arrow Foundation
- Jaimee Rogers (TAB), Leukaemia Foundation
- Chris Roots (Sydney Morning Herald), Leukaemia Foundation
- Daniel Sankey (The Australian), Redkite
- Chris Scholtz (Racing & Sports.com.au), Chris O’Brien Lifehouse (Cancer Research)
- Ray Thomas (Daily Telegraph), Prince of Wales Children’s Hospital
- Ben Walker (Dubbo Liberal), BeyondBlue
- Andrew Webster (Sydney Morning Herald), Wayside Chapel
- Cameron Williams (Channel 9), Alzheimer's Australia Dementia Research Foundation
- Caryl Williamson (AAP), BeyondBlue
The first five races of the 2018 The Championships are:
- $3 million Group 1 The Star Doncaster Mile
- $2.5 million Group 1 Darley TJ Smith Stakes
- $2 million Group 1 Harrolds Australian Derby
- $1 million Group 1 Inglis Sires’
- $400,000 Newhaven Park Country Championships Series Final
You can keep track of the tipsters and their selections/balances across the two The Championships racedays at – www.thechampionships.com.au